Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
i am not a mechanic so bare with me. What is the stock on an 05 and what does the 4.56 actually do. I understand that it helped you pull better but how? You say it didnt increase the the mpg but did better pulling. I guess I dont understand in my simple brain how more power/axle spin gives you better pull with same mpg. Is that something that is better for just hauling or daily driving? I guess I am just wanting to know how its better then stock.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Couple pics of the trip in Sand Hollow by St George Ut. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
The 4.56 gears change the ratio between the ring gear and the pinion gear. So how fast the driveshaft turns to how fast the axle shafts turn. This helps because I have a lift and 37 inch tires so with the stock gears which were 3.73 I no longer am at the peak rpm for driving and towing and everything has to work just a little harder to compensate. So when you re gear then you get the drivetrain back to like stock and the truck doesnt have to work as hard to overcome the lift and big tires. Hope that helps if you have more questions please ask.

·
Registered
379 Posts
that makes sense. at what tire size would you suggest the gear change. That must be why the only people I have ever heard talk about gear changes are my buddys who have big mud trucks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Around 35s or bigger is when it makes the most sense for a Duramax. Ya we re gear a lot with jeeps when we lift them and put on bigger tires.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
where did you get the gears for front and rear ...can you tell me about how much it was for just the parts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yep it does PM sent. But being able to pass your buddy on the hills is priceless :thumb.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yep 08 CCSB 6 inch 35s chip exhaust pretty much same as mine except gears.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
thanks for the pm

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yep no worries.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts