Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 02 gmc duramax fully loaded for the year. Found a 04 lly cab with leather for a good price and want to swap it. How hard will it be to make the new cab work with the older motor? My 02 doesn't have steering wheel controls, etc. The new one does. Any input, opinions, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
would it make more sense to just swap out the seats and potentially the steering wheel and steering wheel controls module? then what ever you don't need just part out to break even.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would it make more sense to just swap out the seats and potentially the steering wheel and steering wheel controls module? then what ever you don't need just part out to break even.
It would except I bought the cab dirt cheap, and it's rust free. That's the main reason I bought it. Just happened to come with loaded leather interior

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is your current cab not rust free?

might be a long shot, but you could try contacting the original poster here to see their experience:
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/04-5-05-lly-duramax-powertrain/245570-cab-swap-help.html
It was in 2013. Had cab corners and rockers replaced, now theyre poking again. Have a rust spot above my windshield and my cab side hinges for the driver door are shot so I figured a rust free cab would be easier than trying to cut and replace everything again

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I currently own a 02 gmc duramax fully loaded for the year. Found a 04 lly cab with leather for a good price and want to swap it. How hard will it be to make the new cab work with the older motor? My 02 doesn't have steering wheel controls, etc. The new one does. Any input, opinions, or suggestions would be appreciated.
very, very hard (thought not impossible)... the 02 is mostly analog, the 04 is all digital over CAN. you would need to swap over all the electronics and harnesses from the 04 minimum. It would probably be easier to put the 02 engine in the 04 truck to be honest. or, just to swap the interior of the 04 over, since aside from the dash they are identical as far as im aware. If you decide to swap the WHOLE interior and not just seats carpets and the like, the radio cutout in the 01,02 dash is slightly different than the 03-07 dash, you will need an aftermarket radio to make things fit properly, or you will want to leave the 02 dash and radio in the truck.

Is your current cab not rust free?

might be a long shot, but you could try contacting the original poster here to see their experience:
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/04-5-05-lly-duramax-powertrain/245570-cab-swap-help.html
new guy uses the forum search feature better than 99.9% of the other forum users, i love it. :thumbsup

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very, very hard (thought not impossible)... the 02 is mostly analog, the 04 is all digital over CAN. you would need to swap over all the electronics and harnesses from the 04 minimum. It would probably be easier to put the 02 engine in the 04 truck to be honest. or, just to swap the interior of the 04 over, since aside from the dash they are identical as far as im aware. If you decide to swap the WHOLE interior and not just seats carpets and the like, the radio cutout in the 01,02 dash is slightly different than the 03-07 dash, you will need an aftermarket radio to make things fit properly, or you will want to leave the 02 dash and radio in the truck.

I plan on using the newer dash, and complete interior. Just curious what I need to switch out

I planned on during the

1 - 7 of 7 Posts