Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm assuming you are talking about rear. Subbing because I'm interested in this as well.

·
Registered
678 Posts
some say it rides a little harsher because the front wheels dont follow as well without one . i thaught i was going to need one after i got my lift but now i have less sway than when i was leveld ha

·
Registered
477 Posts
Are there dmaxes without a front sway bar?

·
Registered
477 Posts
:thumb

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I would suggest before doing a sway bar to look at your shocks. Are you still running crap factory shocks that are likely blown/bad? If so first replace them with a good set of aftermarket shocks (I am partial to Bilsteins) and you'll notice much less roll in the corners and side-to-side movement of the truck.

Only after addressing the shocks determine if a sway bar is still needed.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
A rear sway bar will tend to cause oversteer if it is too big/adjusted wrong. That is not good on a tall truck with a high center of gravity. You don't buy these trucks to go throgh a slalom course. If you do your in the wrong vehicle. Get a Camaro.

Avalon

·
Registered
287 Posts
A rear sway bar will tend to cause oversteer if it is too big/adjusted wrong. That is not good on a tall truck with a high center of gravity. You don't buy these trucks to go throgh a slalom course. If you do your in the wrong vehicle. Get a Camaro.

Avalon
Thats not why I bought my truck, but I like saving 30-40 miles a day so I avoid the freeway and take the canyons to and from work. If a rear sway bar would help with the ride then id be interested in doing it.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
It will not help with the "ride", in fact it may ride harder. It will cut down on lean, but as I pointed out if it is adjusted too tight. The essentially force a vehicle to retransfer weight from the outside of a turn to the inside. Better handling because your balanced.But it will NOT help with the ride because it will restrict the ability of the left and right sides of the axle to move independently because they will be tied together through a big metal bar that is fastened to the frame.

Avalon

Whose kit are you looking at?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry wasn't trying to thread jack, I havent researched it yet as I don't have te extra $$ to spend on it right now. Was just trying to point out that some of us drive canyons roads outta necessity not because we wanna canyon carve.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
will shock help the ride and/or soften the ride

·
Registered
180 Posts
New shocks will stiffen the ride. As they age they do less and less. This makes a smooth ride but the truck will lean a lot more in turns and might bottom out if there is a lot of weight in the truck.

I thought I needed a rear sway bar until I replaced my factory shocks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts