Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been able to find videos showing a very loud knocking sound, but as far as symptoms of a broken crank goes, I've found nothing.

Would like to know for general curiosity. Anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
The crank pulley will move. Loud knocking and the engine will shake due to balance being off.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The crank pulley will move. Loud knocking and the engine will shake due to balance being off.
Will the engine shake regardless of RPMs?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I would think so, but it should increase with RPM.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
You would also have no compression in one or more cylinders.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You would also have no compression in one or more cylinders.
So the thing would theoretically smoke like a chimney?

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
No they will not all smoke or even shake. When the truck broke last time was low on power still drove puff of smoke only if you hit the pedal harder parked. The balancer did not move while running truck acted like the Injectors were out in 2 to 3 holes.

From a older post below.
Balance rates from before hand.

Balance rates now.

Video of balance rates.
Balance rates - YouTube
Walk around after started acting up
Walk around after starting to act up - YouTube
Walk around before acting up
Walk around before - YouTube
And werd sound that can only be heard from inside while driving
Werd sound from on hear in side - YouTube
Sound - YouTube

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting, like I said I was just curious. Trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
I do not have much idea about this. I had discussed it with my neighbor and he suggested me to visit Chimney Repair Experts -Long Island NY | Chimney Genie, for a detailed overview. I found it quite useful, you can also visit for more information.
Oh yeah man. Whenever I have a question about a broken crank or diesels in general the guys at chimney genie always help me out. They're sooooooooo knowledgeable. They are always covered in soot so they have to be right??!?!
Warning: Breaking a crank can also lead to cussing, throwing objects, yelling and talking to inanimate objects, buying a cummins, crying, divorce, refinancing the truck, and taking a 2nd Mortgage out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.