Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 2500 with the diesel. I got it from a guy that said it has amsoil in it, and to not change that. an amsoil representitave said I can go 2 time the recommended oil change interval with the amsoil. is the recommend interval 5k miles or what the computer said? thank you

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
10K is a safe bet. Ignore the DIC oil life %.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Amsiol is snake oil, its a cult following. It's no better then any of the other high end synthetics.

To ignore the oil life monitor isn't a good idea either.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
In order to really know how long you can go on your oil, you have to send off an oil sample.

Any top name brand synthetic oil, will be just as good as Am$oil.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
GM and every other manufacturer of vehicles I have owned recommends changing the oil every year regardless of mileage. With a diesel engine and anything close to severe duty use the oil change should be at 7500 miles so you can dump out the oil, the soot from burning the diesel fuel, and with fresh oil also get a fresh batch of additives which can be 25% of a gallon of diesel motor oil.

Changing my oil every 7500 miles it makes zero sense to use a 15W40 synthetic oil. The only reason to use a synthetic is if you are in areas where the temperature stays below 0 degrees for months at a time and want easier starting for the engine.

I use synthetic lubricants in the transmission and in the rear differential and in the transfer case but these are very different than what takes place in the engine and what happens to the crankcase oil over time.

With the LMM which tends to send unburned fuel into the crankcase and dilute the oil it is even more important to change the oil at a more frequent interval than the DIC indicates.

I have to give a lot of credit to the people at STP and Amsoil and Redline for doing a superb job of brainwashing so many into thinking that synthetics are always superior in all applications at all times.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I am approaching 10K on my Amsoil and the DIC still has 5%. That will put me close to 10K. Will be doing an oil analysis This week.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
GM and every other manufacturer of vehicles I have owned recommends changing the oil every year regardless of mileage. With a diesel engine and anything close to severe duty use the oil change should be at 7500 miles so you can dump out the oil, the soot from burning the diesel fuel, and with fresh oil also get a fresh batch of additives which can be 25% of a gallon of diesel motor oil.

Changing my oil every 7500 miles it makes zero sense to use a 15W40 synthetic oil. The only reason to use a synthetic is if you are in areas where the temperature stays below 0 degrees for months at a time and want easier starting for the engine.

I use synthetic lubricants in the transmission and in the rear differential and in the transfer case but these are very different than what takes place in the engine and what happens to the crankcase oil over time.

With the LMM which tends to send unburned fuel into the crankcase and dilute the oil it is even more important to change the oil at a more frequent interval than the DIC indicates.

I have to give a lot of credit to the people at STP and Amsoil and Redline for doing a superb job of brainwashing so many into thinking that synthetics are always superior in all applications at all times.
Tell us again who is brainwashed? So I also gather that oil analysis are a scam? Good to know.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Amsiol is snake oil, its a cult following. It's no better then any of the other high end synthetics.

To ignore the oil life monitor isn't a good idea either.
Please educate me. Why did an oil (Amsoil) analysis at approx 15K miles (twice) from a non-Amsoil company reveal that the oil was still go-to-go and with all of the original oil qualities remaining and no relevant contamination present?

I would like to know the answer as I have no stock in Amsoil.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
In order to really know how long you can go on your oil, you have to send off an oil sample.

Any top name brand synthetic oil, will be just as good as Am$oil.
I agree.

I paid $85 for 10 qts of Amsoil (from a seller I did not know) the past couple oil changes. How much could I have saved by using another top brand synthetic oil?

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Please educate me. Why did an oil (Amsoil) analysis at approx 15K miles (twice) from a non-Amsoil company reveal that the oil was still go-to-go and with all of the original oil qualities remaining and no relevant contamination present?

I would like to know the answer as I have no stock in Amsoil.
I also had an oil analysis done at 15 K miles by Blackstone laboratory. And it said everything looked good still

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I also had an oil analysis done at 15 K miles by Blackstone laboratory. And it said everything looked good still
Obviously this "Blackstone" and Amsoil are in business together.

Whistleblower

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I go by the fleet reports used by companies that operate hundreds of trucks that put in as much as a million miles a day on the road. They use labs to evaluate the oil and its additives in relation to wear on the engine.

Testing the oil does not tell you the amount of wear taking place inside the engine and whether the oil is still providing adequate protection. I would not expect a lab that is generating income from testing to be 100% open about the limitations of their testing.

The independent labs that have evaluated the additive mixes in dozens of diesel motor oils put Amsoil in the bottom 25%. If you feel better about using a synthetic base stock then your engine would be better off with Shell Rotella T which is rated in the top 25%.

I know of no truck or engine manufacturer that does not recommend changing the oil at least every 12 months regardless of mileage and that applies to synthetic motor oil as well as dino. With GM and Mercedes it is every 12 months and with Cummins it is every 6 months or with severe duty, every 3 months. Cummins developed an engine for the RV market that they brag has a 20k or 12 month change interval, whichever comes first.

What do you suppose all their professional engineers know that you might be missing?

I would sooner trust the people engineering the engine and responsible for its warranty and longevity than people making money sell me oil that costs 3 times as much or sells me oil testing as their source of revenue and profit.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I go by the fleet reports used by companies that operate hundreds of trucks that put in as much as a million miles a day on the road. They use labs to evaluate the oil and its additives in relation to wear on the engine.

Testing the oil does not tell you the amount of wear taking place inside the engine and whether the oil is still providing adequate protection. I would not expect a lab that is generating income from testing to be 100% open about the limitations of their testing.

The independent labs that have evaluated the additive mixes in dozens of diesel motor oils put Amsoil in the bottom 25%. If you feel better about using a synthetic base stock then your engine would be better off with Shell Rotella T which is rated in the top 25%.

I know of no truck or engine manufacturer that does not recommend changing the oil at least every 12 months regardless of mileage and that applies to synthetic motor oil as well as dino. With GM and Mercedes it is every 12 months and with Cummins it is every 6 months or with severe duty, every 3 months. Cummins developed an engine for the RV market that they brag has a 20k or 12 month change interval, whichever comes first.

What do you suppose all their professional engineers know that you might be missing?

I would sooner trust the people engineering the engine and responsible for its warranty and longevity than people making money sell me oil that costs 3 times as much or sells me oil testing as their source of revenue and profit.
Have you ever looked an oil analysis report?

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Food for thought .....

Those that use Amsoil will tell you why and leave it at that.

Those that do not use Amsoil will tell you what oil they use and then go on to slam Amsoil.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Food for thought .....

Those that use Amsoil will tell you why and leave it at that.

Those that do not use Amsoil will tell you what oil they use and then go on to slam Amsoil.
It's funny how that works. With all the research I've done online, that's all you get with people and their opinions. Instead of them just saying both are great oils, Amsoil is just more $$.

I'm between choosing Rotella T6 5w40 & Amsoil Premium 15w40, but can't make a final choice

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
I'm between choosing Rotella T6 5w40 & Amsoil Premium 15w40, but can't make a final choice
The tiebreaker. Use Mobil. :) :poke[1]::brian

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
HD you're messin up my mind! lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts