Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 GMC 2500 HD Duramax diesel with the allison transmission. I will be pulling a FSW 32 Weekend Warrior. I have around 4,000 miles on it and was thinking about putting in Mobil 1 synthetic. Any input from you pros would be helpful. Also would you reccomend synthetic for the tranny? I live in southern California and would also like advice on what weight oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd wait just a little bit longer to switch to synthetic to give the motor more break in time. Around the 10k mark or so. Same for the trans. The synthetic will help a bit with tranny temps. but it would be a good move anyway pulling a trailer often.

Being in a warm climate year round a 15w40 would probably be just fine for you.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You want to run the AME 15W40 like Nathan said. Also, for the transmission, Amsoil has a fluid designed specifically for the Allison transmission, and meets Allison's TES-295, which is the Spec Allison requires for running extended drains. With oil meeting this Spec, drains go from the normal interval of 50k to 150k miles. The spin on filter still needs to be changed every 50K miles, the internal filter is replaced at overhaul. This info is straight off Allison's website.

Here is a link to the Amsoil 15W40 Diesel Oil

Here is a link to the Amsoil Torque Drive ATF

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with the choice of Amsoil! I've used it in my gas motors as well as my duramax and have been REALY PLEASED with the relsults. I'm reluctant to put it into my 83 K5 blazer with a 6.2 cause I'm afraid that it'll clean it so well that it'll kill it, so I use delo (unless any1 has anything better to use). The odometer has 51,000+ but I bet it's more like 151,000+, no clue as to acual miles.

·
Registered
352 Posts
In my book I would scrub it in alil longer before switching over, Id say 15 40 like stated above.

I run synthetic in all my truck cars and toys and it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Before I choose to switch over to synthetic at ~10k what should I use until then?
I used to work at advance auto and people LOVED the rotella t.
Do any of you guys on here sell amsoil?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Nut, Amsoils ATF (batch code specific) is the right one for 2006 and up Allys. It meets the Dexron VI, Torque Drive is for 05 and older. I called tech service twice. I also have a ZO number. Check it out.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Torque Drive meets the Allison Requirements. I see what you are saying, and I have not found a fluid recommendation from Allison on the new 6 speed version. So until I hear otherwise from my Allison guy you are right, Amsoil ATF is the proper fluid. Nice thing is the price difference between the 2 is minimal.

Thanks for correcting me there D W!:drink

·
Registered
72 Posts
No problem, glad to see that y'all are open discussion like this. I've had flame wars start over this very issue on another forum:) . Very strange.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also saw an interesting article on testing the rear gear oil with Amsoil used, with and without mag-hytec cooling cover. The Amsoil stuff was impressive. Article was in Petersens 4wheel and off-road, showed a difference of 25 degrees cooler without and 45 degrees with mags cover, same load, same conditions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an "06" Duramax my 3rd oil change (around the 15k mark) was to Rotella full sythetic. im at 55,000ish now and think the oil is great. the thing thats important about an oil is how it handles contaminates. being a diesel engine your going to get soot in your oil. if im not mistaken rotella is designed and manufactured with soot contamination in mind and is formulated to deal with that without as much chemical side effects as other oils may have. mobile 1 is a great oil and i run it in all my gas engine vehicles but i would run rotella synthetic over mobile 1 in a diesel. ive changed alot of oil in alot of road tractors and almost 100% of what i put into those tractors was rotella. and 100% of what we put in our fleet of western stars was rotella synthetic.

2006 Silverado crew cab 2500HD Duramax LBZ, Allison 1000, BD Full bore exhaust manifold, Diamond eye downpipe-back 4" exhaust, Bullydog PMT tuner, S&B intake, Golden fuel systems SVO conversion. Heavy right foot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts