Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of my first D-Max and my buddy has an LBZ and he told me NOT to switch cause my LB7 has 101500 miles on it. Ive talked to other guys and they say don't worry about it it'll be fine looking for any input I don't want a bunch of leaks I can't find says my buddy. I was gonna go with Amsoil 15-40 Help Thanks

03 LB7 crew LS
Workhourse Power Chip
4 Inch hi flo exhaust
Air Raid cold air intake
Auto meter phantom boost and EGT gauges Dual Pille
265/75/16 Firestone

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well I just made the switch at 133K. I Am only 1000 miles into it, I don't know how long it would take for the leaks to show up if there will be any. So far so good! Oh yeah and I went with the AMSOIL also.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
Yep.....I like doing my syn every 12k or so,beats every 5k miles,I would have to[if still ran dino oil] do it three times a month!!!:drink

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for advice I think I'm gonna go for it all looks tight underneath truck so if not oh well more projects in the shop yea!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I switched to Rotella 5w-40 synthetic at 280,000! Haven't had any problems from that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
There were issues in the early days and I got anti-synthetic pretty quick. The new stuff is good. It's much nicer changing less :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
i was kinda thinking of switching back to dino oil only cuz amsoil is to hard to get ahold of where i live but we will see i'm still kinda "on the fence" about it

·
Registered
576 Posts
Get on it :) You'll have more time between changes to get the next lot of oil :D he he

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will add this. I have Mobil 1 in the engine and trans of my Dmax, rear diff to come soon, engine trans, and diff of my 96 1/2 ton 158k, and the engine and diff of my 89 Camaro says 122k speedo broke before I bought it though.
The Dmax (03) hasen't had a problem until the dealer did injectors now the valve cover leaks. On it's way back to the dealer. Bought it with 89k, first change went to Mobil 1 5W40.
The 96 haven't had a problem other then what I would call normal. Oil pan is starting to go, but with 158k and 14 year's I figure that falls into normal.
The Camaro on the other hand went from who know's to Mobil 1 0W30. Lasted about 3 or 4 days, almost wouldn't start from the valve guides leaking so bad. Put some Marvel Mystery Oil in it, been fine since.
I would do it all again though.
Point being, syn to me is worth it. But you need to be aware at higher mileage you can develope leaks. It's not that it creates a leak, it just cleans off all the old crud, so the leak you should have appears.

·
Vendor
10,958 Posts
I am the proud owner of my first D-Max and my buddy has an LBZ and he told me NOT to switch cause my LB7 has 101500 miles on it. Ive talked to other guys and they say don't worry about it it'll be fine looking for any input I don't want a bunch of leaks I can't find says my buddy. I was gonna go with Amsoil 15-40 Help Thanks

03 LB7 crew LS
Workhourse Power Chip
4 Inch hi flo exhaust
Air Raid cold air intake
Auto meter phantom boost and EGT gauges Dual Pille
265/75/16 Firestone
Switching to AMSOIL Synthetics is a good choice. You can easily get 300-400k miles out of these engines and with synthetics, you are going to help it get there with better lubrication qualities than dyno. When synthetics first came out, the additives that were included did not protect or condition the seals. In today's synthetics, the additives are in there and help condition the seals.

I have many customers with more miles than you who have switched to AMSOIL and have had no problems. I recommend to all my customers switching to AMSOIL for the first time to flush their motors to clean up any old oil, sludge, varnish, etc to prep it for clean AMSOIL. It is an easy to do and only adds a few minutes to your servicing.

If I can help you with AMSOIL products, just PM me.

Take care,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts