·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you explain in more detail?

·
Vendor
2,279 Posts
Sorry guys I mis read the post....I was talking about the seal.

You would need to take the TC out, and take it apart to do the bushing....

My local tranmission shop told me he could not get the bushing and that I would have to replace the rear half of the case.....But Merchant Automotive sells a new busing for them so I think it can be done.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Unbolt the drive shaft from the rear axle, and he carrier bearing, and it will slide right out of the transfer case.

Then tap the seal out and tap a new one in place. Bingo!
I'm going to be doing this soon..I'm loosing about 3 drops/day when parked. How long did that take you? Degree of difficulty?

·
Vendor
2,279 Posts
I did no know this when I did mine!

I took it out and then found that the rear case half had a hole in it due to it running out of oil and the bearing binding up. I bought a used case for $100 and used the parts to build a good one.

The seal was a pain to take out and I completely wrecked it, but It should take you about half an hour to do the job.

Hopefully someone will chime in with a good way to remove the old seal other than beating on it with a hammer claw.!!!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I have never had to replace a t.case output shaft bushing EVER. Are you sure this is the problem. They should have a slight amount of play up and down for lubrication.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I did no know this when I did mine!

I took it out and then found that the rear case half had a hole in it due to it running out of oil and the bearing binding up. I bought a used case for $100 and used the parts to build a good one.

The seal was a pain to take out and I completely wrecked it, but It should take you about half an hour to do the job.

Hopefully someone will chime in with a good way to remove the old seal other than beating on it with a hammer claw.!!!
What kind of seal is it? An o-ring hook tool won't do it?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sorry guys I mis read the post....I was talking about the seal.

You would need to take the TC out, and take it apart to do the bushing....

My local tranmission shop told me he could not get the bushing and that I would have to replace the rear half of the case.....But Merchant Automotive sells a new busing for them so I think it can be done.
Not necessary to pull the t-case to do the bushing. It can be done in the vehicle with the proper tool, GM TOOL # J45380. That is what I use to do it in the vehicle. Just make sure you need a bushing, when the seal might be your only problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How can a person tell if it is just the bushing or the seal. I have a small drip also and was curious what parts I might need.

·
Registered
542 Posts
How can a person tell if it is just the bushing or the seal. I have a small drip also and was curious what parts I might need.
It depends on the amount of play between the yoke and bushing.
Pull the bad seal, then check bushing for play by installing yoke. You can only get a fair assessment of the bushing with the seal out.
Should have very little play, slight bit of play is acceptable, if sloppy, replace the bushing.
The vast majority of leak problems have been just the seal, I have only had to do 4 bushings due to wear and they were high mileage or neglected vehicles. I did one truck with 300,000 miles on it, just the seal, bushing was still in good shape.
It depends on how you take care of the vehicle and what along with how you pull, when trailering.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it is a long bushing....i looked in from the back after removing the seal and the bushing has inched itself forward...i was in the process of taking out the t-case because last thing i want are the remnants from a ten dollar bushing to get inside the t-case. the bushing is about to hit this roller bearing in the t-case...the slip yoke is also destroyed...wabbled and got some low spots on it now... this all came about because the abs/park lights kept coming on...was chasing down the issue and the codes were for a rear speed sensor...well of course cuz the sensor was getting hit by the shaft cuz it was wabbling around....well when i was taking off the front drive shaft i about 5 seconds too late remembered that the brake was not set and the wheels were not chocked...freakin truck came off ramps and crushed my chest slight injuries ribs and stuff and rolled over my legs...a broken toe and dislocated toe...and then rolled me about six feet down the drive-way. well all in all i got out okay....some fractures and some lacerations and now some bed rest. my shirt had a perfect impression of the cross-member that crushed me...kinda funny after the fact...so as soon as i can lift the t-case i will continue...so i anyone has done this without removing the case let me know...otherwise i have that to look forward to....

·
Registered
542 Posts
......so i anyone has done this without removing the case let me know.......
As stated before, it can be done in the vehicle with GM tool #45380, see post#11 in this thread. Also if you don't have a factory manual, it is an excellent reference. They are available from HELM Inc for about $150-160 shipped to your door, worth it in the long run.
Glad you are still with us..............

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
geeeez!----so finally pulled the t-case and if anyone has not done the case saver to their t-case either check the fluid constantly or do the case saver....you will probably not find a puddle of oil anywhere...it leaks out as you drive down the road....i am now another victim of the pump wearing the hole and the fluid leaking out....to rebuild the thing is almost as much as buying new one.....save yourself the issues...check your fluid level now!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anyone know what all cases are affected by the crappy design?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts