Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey tyreboyz. I found this pic on the internet. Is this a example of taking care of your tires properly? :LMAO

:rof yup keep them rotated not ROLLIN

·
Diesel Addict
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey tyreboyz. I found this pic on the internet. Is this a example of taking care of your tires properly? :LMAO

Jason anyone knows rotating duals can be a pain so what easier way to take care of cupped out tires then to burn'em down a bit!
those guys were brand new at the time(roughly 500miles)and afterwards there was roughly 35% wear leftover but it was an amazing burnout to watch!

·
Registered
981 Posts
what fuel mileage differences did u see. I have the little 245's on right now and get around 17- 18 mixed. what can I expect with putting on a leveling kit and 285's?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Jason anyone knows rotating duals can be a pain so what easier way to take care of cupped out tires then to burn'em down a bit!
those guys were brand new at the time(roughly 500miles)and afterwards there was roughly 35% wear leftover but it was an amazing burnout to watch!
:rof

Hmm Im not sure if I beleave that.

You need to do a deminstration in Pittsburgh this weekend :neener

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
240 Posts
Do you all run load rated E tires? If you are not going to be doing heavy towing, like 6000 poounds maximum trailer weight, can you use lower wieght rated tires. Also, I heard the ride would be a little better with "lighter rated" tires. Any thoughts on running non E rated tires?

·
Diesel Addict
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Do you all run load rated E tires? If you are not going to be doing heavy towing, like 6000 poounds maximum trailer weight, can you use lower wieght rated tires. Also, I heard the ride would be a little better with "lighter rated" tires. Any thoughts on running non E rated tires?
as long as the truck weight doesnt exceed the tire weight ratings yes you can do that but the danger of over loading the tires has been greatly increased by doing a lower weight rated tire! i would stay with a LR D or LR E for a Diesel equipped truck!

·
Diesel Addict
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What would cause the inner first tread to wear prematurely?
Sorry, It is on a 06 GMC crewcab Dually
you need an alignment! whenever you have premature wearing on why side 99.9% of the time its either caused by parts wearing out or just needs realigned! that goes from farm equipment to Benz cars!

·
Registered
50 Posts
nice write up thanks.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I am looking for new tires for my dually,mud would be grate!!I have seen many guys put on dually 285/75r16 on oem 6 inch wide rims.My tire guy told me this won't be good cause they are too large for a stock rim.Why is there many guys that did this combo?

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
you need an alignment! whenever you have premature wearing on why side 99.9% of the time its either caused by parts wearing out or just needs realigned! that goes from farm equipment to Benz cars!
That Is what I thought too so off to the alignment shop. BUT alignment shop says it is fine. [ cross camber. 36˚ cross caster -.038˚ Total toe .07"] Alignment shop even gives it a 4 wheel alignment with a pass. They blame the tires. Tire shop says too aggressive front tires so that causing wear. Of course they want to "SELL" me a new set of tires at a stupidly high price. These tires have less then 10,000kms and they are lucky if they make it to twenty thousand kms.:help

·
Diesel Addict
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I am looking for new tires for my dually,mud would be grate!!I have seen many guys put on dually 285/75r16 on oem 6 inch wide rims.My tire guy told me this won't be good cause they are too large for a stock rim.Why is there many guys that did this combo?

Thanks
it isnt recommend due to the fact that the 285's are technicaly way to wide for 6" wide wheels but its more then possible,you'll have to adjust PSI to avoid weird wear patterns on the tires!
That Is what I thought too so off to the alignment shop. BUT alignment shop says it is fine. [ cross camber. 36˚ cross caster -.038˚ Total toe .07"] Alignment shop even gives it a 4 wheel alignment with a pass. They blame the tires. Tire shop says too aggressive front tires so that causing wear. Of course they want to "SELL" me a new set of tires at a stupidly high price. These tires have less then 10,000kms and they are lucky if they make it to twenty thousand kms.:help
in truth i'm not sure what to tell you then,have you kept the tires rotated? if not that could be what it is but everything i know about tires it sounds more like an alignment issue then lack of rotation!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
it isnt recommend due to the fact that the 285's are technicaly way to wide for 6" wide wheels but its more then possible,you'll have to adjust PSI to avoid weird wear patterns on the tires!

Do i have to put more psi?

·
Diesel Addict
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

Do i have to put more psi?
whenever you run tires that are wider then what suppose to be on the wheels you need to lower the PSI to avoid wearing the center of the tires out! hope that makes sense! the best way to do it is take some chalk and make a mark across the tread of the tire and adjust the PSI until it wears the chalk off evenly! if it wears more in the center drop PSI and if it wears more on the shoulders add PSI!

·
Diesel Addict
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
285's section width to wide,would make contatct with each other,create heat a blow,what ya think james
yes,on a dually without the proper size spacers that would definitly be the case!

i should have clarified that better,you CAN NOT run a LT285-75R16 on a dualy without atleast a 2-2.5" spacer between the duals!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you have any info as to what I should be running on the factory Goodyear SR-A 265/60r20's. The sticker says 65 front and 70 in back. Those seem to be good numbers when towing, but what about when empty. The truck seems to ride a bit hard when empty and the back seats rattle when down. I could always do the chalk line across the tread, but thought someone might know without me experimenting.

Thanks, TD

21 - 40 of 58 Posts