Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
I run 70 psi in all 4 of mine (rated for 75 i think) it would be better for wear to air them down???

i thought they wore better and got better mpg's aired up. it does ride stiffer now though

·
Registered
32 Posts
You should actually run air pressure according to your vehicle and what it calls for. Too many people try and run air according to a tires max psi rating and that has absolutely nothing to do with the psi factor on a specific vehicle. Unless of course your running an under rated load spec for the vehicle. Then you can add press. to compensate and decrease the amount of heat the tire will generate under load while staying within the tires psi limits. There's actually quite a bit that factor's in to all this, but keeping it simple, I'd run close to what your door says, or a little over depending on tire size, but never under. If your to far over you lessen your contact patch and if your under you lessen it as well plus the tire will create more heat. Heat is what kills a tire, as the tire will start to break down and delaminate on the inside. Once you deside where to run them, just check them out in a few thousand miles and adjust press. accordingly to achieve a good wear pattern.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
How about preserving factory tires...
I'm looking to remove the set of factory tires/wheels and "save" them to be put back on later. Maybe for as long as 5 years or so. Will they dry rot?
What are the best storage conditions to help preserve them? Any tips?

·
Registered
3 Posts
What do u guys recommend I'm running 35x12.5x20 Micky Thompson A/T
And it's getting time to replace . I like the tire but oPen to something.new

·
Registered
708 Posts
What tires are ya'll running and getting the best wear out of?

I put a set of LT265/70/17 Michelin LTX MS2's on my truck last October after reading reviews and expected good long mileage out of them. I am now 24k miles later and the wear is not looking like I expected they would at all. These tires have a 70k warranty and I will be trying to get them replaced under this warranty. I have been running the recommended pressure in them (60 and 72 psi), they are the same size that came on my truck from the factory, but they are all wearing on both outer edges and are almost to the wear bars on those edges already. I keep them rotated every 8k miles.

I raised my pressures 5 psi a few weeks ago and had my alignment checked - all was good.

Any recommendations for a tire that will last in 265/70/17?

·
Timeless Perfection!
795 Posts
What should the lugs be torqued to?

·
Registered
16,263 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 2011 with 20's. Every one says the sticker in the door jam says like 60 front and like 70-75 rear. Mine says 75 front and rear. I have always ran 75 figured get best miliage and suffered with the harsh ride but I thought that's the way a 2500 runs. I have 55,000 mile and will probably get 60,000 on my stock Good Years before I replace. Now I'm reading everyone is running a lot lower pressure. Is my pressure the same front and rear because I have the plow prep package? What would be a good tire pressure when I'm not plowing. Don't really tow or haul much.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
If you are still running stockers, then you can run what your door says if you like. I don't know if the plow package is why they say to run higher pressure, but really it is a matter of preference, I run 65 psi so my tires wear even when empty. When towing I bump it up. I would imagine you would want more pressure when you have your blade on too.

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
I take the door jam recommendation (Front 60psi, Rear 80psi) & add/remove air pressure depending on how it rides & wears. Like 80 in the rear when empty is too much. 60 in the front gives a nice ride, but I was getting too much wear on the outside of the tires. After many times of adjusting my tire pressure, I finally stuck with 74 in the front & 58 in the rear, (when empty.) I put 80 in the rear when towing/hauling.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Does anyone know if a snap on scanner is able to change the tire pressure sensors? I'm gonna give it a shot this evening

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
217 Posts
Anyone have a recommended tire pressure for 285/55r20 on 20x10's?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Open country AT2's

What tire pressure are you guys running in this size tire? I'm at 65 warmed up and I don't think it's enough. The fronts look low and they are wearing strangely. 305.55.20.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I take the door jam recommendation (Front 60psi, Rear 80psi) & add/remove air pressure depending on how it rides & wears. Like 80 in the rear when empty is too much. 60 in the front gives a nice ride, but I was getting too much wear on the outside of the tires. After many times of adjusting my tire pressure, I finally stuck with 74 in the front & 58 in the rear, (when empty.) I put 80 in the rear when towing/hauling.
Thanks for the info, I have gotten in a pissing match with the dealership the last two times i have been there about front tire wear on the shoulders of the tires. I knew it was too low, I had been airing the front up to 72lbs based on tire temp readings across the front tread, and each time i took it in they kept dropping them back down to 60lbs. I do not tow daily, just on the weekends. I really wonder what their reasoning is for the low front air pressure. Reminds me of what I went through on my 2012 Tacoma. They ended up doing a recall to change the air pressure placard on the door. I'm tempted to put the truck on some scales to really know the wheel weights while the truck is unloaded.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts