Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently a weekend warrior andtowing a 30' bumper pull TT through the summer months in Minnesota. Looking to possibly head further west for several weeks during the summer, ATV trail riding, etc.

I have a 2016 1500 Silverado, 6.2L, with 60k miles on it. I am waffling between keeping this or moving to a 17 or 18 L5P, since this is mostly seasonal travel/towing. I have been closely watching the used market for something just coming out of warranty on trade-ins and can get $33K for my current pickup, and most of what I am interested in for the L5Ps are $42-48K. Test drove a 17 LTZ 2500, immaculate condition, good service history at local dealer, 110k miles.

Am I crazy? These forums have my heart racing dumping a completely functional pickup for something i might regret with reliability concerns.

· Registered
408 Posts
Upgrade to better pads and rotors and keep the truck,

I had a 17 with the 5.3 and should done that. I like my new truck. I tow the same as you but the new truck is not a huge difference yet. I tow flat land and under 1 hour most the time

· Premium Member
4,046 Posts
My truck spends more time not towing than towing.

No issues. Truck is stock.

Reactions: Melonhead1102

· Registered
1,291 Posts
Are you overloaded on the 1/2 ton with that 30' TT (take it to the scales in travel trim). If not then upgrade the brakes. If so, then either look for a larger truck. The 6.2 is a well proven motor.

· Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
781 Posts
What do you suppose is accurate on how unreliable the L5P and any other modern diesel is, if it's not towing it's entire life?
The main issue with not towing or daily driving and short tripping is driving it enough long enough to allow it to regen for complete cycles. Constantly interrupting regens is what eventually kills these trucks.

I monitor my regen status with a banks idash

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The main issue with not towing or daily driving and short tripping is driving it enough long enough to allow it to regen for complete cycles. Constantly interrupting regens is what eventually kills these trucks.

I monitor my regen status with a banks idash
I think that's what I want to understand instead of seeing posts about "stranded because the 9th injector failed" and just being pissed off. I believe a lot of people using these as they should are simply seeing defective equipment like any other vehicle can have, I just don't know how widespread it is..

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I towed a 30 footer with a 5.3 half ton for a bit.It couldnt handle the hot days and temps were always spiking.Had my bone stock L5P for 5 years.best tow rig ive ever owned.Never had a check engine light.Gets better mpg towing or empty.The exhaust brake alone is worth the extra money.Will never go back to gas.
Dave how often are you towing?

· Registered
1,825 Posts
If you’re worried about stopping or being overloaded and don’t want a diesel buy a 3/4 ton gas truck.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How heavy is your trailer? Are you currently having any problems with towing? Are you going to complain about MPG and diesel prices?

those would be my questions to determine if it’s worth it or not.
About 9500 lbs loaded up with the kids toys and all that. No 'trouble' but it's mostly flat here so just high rpms getting on highways, so looking west made me wonder as we go through mountains.
Gas prices don't bother me, I'm already paying only .40 cents below diesel for premium in the 6.2. I'm also not really concerned much about the money, I make plenty.. I'm going to leave it at that, I'm not going to gloat.

· Registered
2022 GMC 3500 CCLB SRW Denali
200 Posts
About 9500 lbs loaded up with the kids toys and all that. No 'trouble' but it's mostly flat here so just high rpms getting on highways, so looking west made me wonder as we go through mountains.
Gas prices don't bother me, I'm already paying only .40 cents below diesel for premium in the 6.2
As long as prices don’t bother you might be worth getting one. A lot of people buy these trucks and then complain about how expensive they are to drive so it’s just something to take into consideration. We moved from a gas to a diesel and couldn’t be happier if you can afford it I personally would.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As long as prices don’t bother you might be worth getting one. A lot of people buy these trucks and then complain about how expensive they are to drive so it’s just something to take into consideration. We moved from a gas to a diesel and couldn’t be happier if you can afford it I personally would.
Is your '22 your first?

· Registered
1,359 Posts
nQUOTE="justbrae1, post: 12479619, member: 663212"]
What do you suppose is accurate on how unreliable the L5P and any other modern diesel is, if it's not towing it's entire life?
[/QUOTE]

Hard to say really. So many sensors to go bad and the emissions components are sensitive and problematic. The other issue is that dealer service is horrible and incompetent for the most part. Lots of these trucks get dumped on the used market with never ending problems. I'd at least find out the trucks service history at possible.

I don't tow with my truck much but I don't driven it nearly as much as the gas one I had. I know short tripping is bad for it and monitor soot and regens etc. I've got thousand's in extra parts, sensors, control modules, extra def tank, connectors, etc. But in the end here shortly all the problematic areas will permanently dealt with so I can quit worrying about it.

As someone else pointed out stepping up to a 2500 with the 6.6 gas would be your best other option.

· Registered
8,801 Posts
I did the opposite of what you are considering. I had a pre emissions Duramax. I bought a new 1500 6.2. Is yours a 6 or 10 speed? I kept the Duramax because I haul stuff that is too heavy to go in the 1500. But the bigger truck tows a little nicer but with a weight distribution hitch the 1500 does fine. It has plenty of power and I tow in the mountains here in the west long distance. The cost 9to operate a diesel is much higher than a gas truck. And that's without emissions garbage. If I traded my Duramax in the difference on a new Duramax would have been about the same as buying the 1500 outright was. But I absolutely will never buy a diesel with emissions. I drive big trucks for a living and have spent way too much time waiting for towing due to emissions failures. When something goes wrong you will be fixing it where you are if you travel long distance. My old Duramax and every gas truck I have ever owned has got me home every time even if it had a problem. You will get a little better mileage towing with a diesel but it is not that much and gas trucks get better empty mileage as daily drivers. With the 10 speed and 6.2 my 1500 gets better mileage than I expected for a truck. And even though it needs premium it's cheaper than diesel. Sometimes we take the Duramax on long trips towing the trailer because it has a canopy to put stuff in. And for some reason the little lady likes the older truck better. She says it's more comfortable to ride long distance in. But that's the different generation not the engine. The seats just fit her better.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did the opposite of what you are considering. I had a pre emissions Duramax. I bought a new 1500 6.2. Is yours a 6 or 10 speed? I kept the Duramax because I haul stuff that is too heavy to go in the 1500. But the bigger truck tows a little nicer but with a weight distribution hitch the 1500 does fine. It has plenty of power and I tow in the mountains here in the west long distance. The cost 9to operate a diesel is much higher than a gas truck. And that's without emissions garbage. If I traded my Duramax in the difference on a new Duramax would have been about the same as buying the 1500 outright was. But I absolutely will never buy a diesel with emissions. I drive big trucks for a living and have spent way too much time waiting for towing due to emissions failures. When something goes wrong you will be fixing it where you are if you travel long distance. My old Duramax and every gas truck I have ever owned has got me home every time even if it had a problem. You will get a little better mileage towing with a diesel but it is not that much and gas trucks get better empty mileage as daily drivers. With the 10 speed and 6.2 my 1500 gets better mileage than I expected for a truck. And even though it needs premium it's cheaper than diesel. Sometimes we take the Duramax on long trips towing the trailer because it has a canopy to put stuff in. And for some reason the little lady likes the older truck better. She says it's more comfortable to ride long distance in. But that's the different generation not the engine. The seats just fit her better.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Unfortunately it has the terrible 8 speed.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts