Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
9,054 Posts
I did the opposite of what you are considering. I had a pre emissions Duramax. I bought a new 1500 6.2. Is yours a 6 or 10 speed? I kept the Duramax because I haul stuff that is too heavy to go in the 1500. But the bigger truck tows a little nicer but with a weight distribution hitch the 1500 does fine. It has plenty of power and I tow in the mountains here in the west long distance. The cost 9to operate a diesel is much higher than a gas truck. And that's without emissions garbage. If I traded my Duramax in the difference on a new Duramax would have been about the same as buying the 1500 outright was. But I absolutely will never buy a diesel with emissions. I drive big trucks for a living and have spent way too much time waiting for towing due to emissions failures. When something goes wrong you will be fixing it where you are if you travel long distance. My old Duramax and every gas truck I have ever owned has got me home every time even if it had a problem. You will get a little better mileage towing with a diesel but it is not that much and gas trucks get better empty mileage as daily drivers. With the 10 speed and 6.2 my 1500 gets better mileage than I expected for a truck. And even though it needs premium it's cheaper than diesel. Sometimes we take the Duramax on long trips towing the trailer because it has a canopy to put stuff in. And for some reason the little lady likes the older truck better. She says it's more comfortable to ride long distance in. But that's the different generation not the engine. The seats just fit her better.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

· Registered
9,054 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts