Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2022 GMC 3500 CCLB SRW Denali
288 Posts
About 9500 lbs loaded up with the kids toys and all that. No 'trouble' but it's mostly flat here so just high rpms getting on highways, so looking west made me wonder as we go through mountains.
Gas prices don't bother me, I'm already paying only .40 cents below diesel for premium in the 6.2
As long as prices don’t bother you might be worth getting one. A lot of people buy these trucks and then complain about how expensive they are to drive so it’s just something to take into consideration. We moved from a gas to a diesel and couldn’t be happier if you can afford it I personally would.

· Registered
288 Posts
I don't mind the cost of the def, diesel, and general upkeep such as oil, fuel, and tranny filter changes. I'm mostly interested in just how much of a disaster the emissions are. Gas motors have emissions issues too, but they don't shut the damn engine down or come to 5mph because of an ingenious idea from the government.

My question is probably shortened down to: How often should I expect to bring this to a dealer for work, vs just relocating the emissions and fixing the minor issues that the engines of yesteryear had?
From what I have seen, the people who generally have emissions problems are those who modify their trucks or don’t use them as intended i.e. lots of short trips and not hauling. Using them as daily drivers for short trips. That’s just what I’ve seen though no data to back that up.

The other thing to remember is places like this on the internet are generally going to consolidate all the problems, people don’t post when they are happy. So it’s going to seem like more people are having problems then they are.

just my opinion I’m sure others will disagree.

· Registered
288 Posts
I started with a similar sized travel trailer and ‘15 2500 gasser. First trip to Colorado from Texas and I was shopping for an LML. Night and day experience after the switch. Less engine noise from lower RPM’s, exhaust brake, and longer range with improved mileage. Had zero issues with that truck up to 36K miles when I traded. Used mostly not towing. Got a ‘19 L5P. Used the same except with a FW. L5P has had 43K reliable miles. I’ve had one NOx sensor replaced and a screwy coolant reservoir. Never been dead on the road or had a check engine light.

The regen thing I do keep an eye on since I mostly drive around town with only a highway trip once a week at most. Highest speed around town is 55. Just last night took the long way home on some highway since traffic was light to wrap up a regen. Maybe excessive but it’s kept me out of trouble thus far.

The biggest thing to watch out for if you get an L5P is you’ll find yourself shopping larger trailers. No one mentions that part. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This last part is very true. Been trying to convince the wife we need a bigger horse trailer ever since we bought our truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts