Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

· Registered
2022 Chevrolet 3500 High Country CC
1,430 Posts
This is always a fun question.

When we were looking at upgrading trucks out current 5th wheel is around 10k. We thought long and hard about going gas on this truck (last truck was 07 cummins and the new 6.6 gas is similar in torque) but also realized we were most likely going to a larger fifth wheel in the next 5 years and we generally keep vehicles 10-15 years at a minimal. So to that end we went 3500 diesel and haven't looked back. This way we have 1 investment and practically unlimited payload and towing ability for anything we looked at in the future.

I can tell you that with the diesel and a trailer that small/light that you will be able to set the cruise at 72 +/-, turn on the engine brake in tow mode and not touch the throttle or brake on any incline up or down unless traffic or construction slows you down, and you will be able to slow down with authority.

But I can also say that if we were never going to upsize campers and were staying under 10k trailer weight I would have most likely bought a 2020 or newer 2500 or 3500 with the 6.6 gas. Have read many good things about that engine. And for 23 it gets paired with an allison trans.

End of the day it's your decision
diesel: pros - most towing capacity compared to gas - seems like never ending power/torque and speed control with the engine brake and 10spd, smooth and quiet enough you can forget you have a trailer - cons - adding def fluid (cost), emissions systems more complex than gas and more costly if a problem arises, fuel more expensive and sometimes not as readily available as gas.

Gas - pros - same comfort creatures of other chev's/gmc's, no added def cost, can daily drive or short trip on a regular basis without consequence, 10k cheaper off the bat, gas is usually available at any station. Cons - no engine braking, may have to watch the rpms a bit in the worst of the mountains but prolly not with a newer truck, may or may not hold speed and be able to run cruise in mountains, half the torque or less then diesel, lower towing capacity, you'll always know the trailer is back there, but it will get ya there and back also.

If I bought gas truck today it would be the 6.6 gas model year 2020 or newer and if I was in your shoes and wanted to buy used I'd stay in the 1500 for a couple of years and move into a lightly used 6.6 gas with the allison model year 23 or newer but I'd still stay 6.6.

Best of luck and look forward to hearing what ya decide.

JMHO

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hard to say really. So many sensors to go bad and the emissions components are sensitive and problematic. The other issue is that dealer service is horrible and incompetent for the most part. Lots of these trucks get dumped on the used market with never ending problems. I'd at least find out the trucks service history at possible.

I don't tow with my truck much but I don't driven it nearly as much as the gas one I had. I know short tripping is bad for it and monitor soot and regens etc. I've got thousand's in extra parts, sensors, control modules, extra def tank, connectors, etc. But in the end here shortly all the problematic areas will permanently dealt with so I can quit worrying about it.

As someone else pointed out stepping up to a 2500 with the 6.6 gas would be your best other option.
I have someone in my back pocket to help relocate parts if needed.

· Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
907 Posts
I think that's what I want to understand instead of seeing posts about "stranded because the 9th injector failed" and just being pissed off. I believe a lot of people using these as they should are simply seeing defective equipment like any other vehicle can have, I just don't know how widespread it is..
same as any other vehicle, the less you do routine maintenance and the less quality fuels and fluids and filters you use the higher the ammount of breakdowns

my 2021 is at 38k miles

· Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
1,656 Posts
I have someone in my back pocket to help relocate parts if needed.
If the parts are available.....some aren't.....nationally. With a lot of repairs you're going to need the dealer anyway because something will need programmed or reset. Was reading the service manual for my 22, it's silly how much of this there is.

Reactions: Satar

· Administrator
19,360 Posts
I did not read any comments or even your full post, only the title.

These are the reasons you do not want a diesel.
  1. You will smile too often when driving, this leads to extra strain on muscles in your race.
  2. You meet too many great people and some will even contribute to your personal and professional growth. This creates chaos as you have to figure out what to do with your extra time and success. Some people may look at your differently seeing you accomplish so much more than others.
  3. You will find yourself having to answer questions as to how great your truck is.
  4. You will experience fewer fill ups towing and more confidence on the road, this confidence can prevent you from meeting people on the road that otherwise would have hit your vehicle with theirs or flipped you the finger for not getting up to speed as fast with that trailer.
  5. You will enjoy life so much you will be disappointed with how quickly time passes.
Ok, well... This list is incomplete, but I hope it added value to your decision.

· Registered
2022 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
5 Posts
One of the big factors for me was overall confidence when towing our camper and not feeling like I was limited in where we could travel. Took a 2k mile trip out west this summer and on numerous occasions both my wife and I commented how glad we were we upgraded to a diesel. Not saying a gasser won’t get the job done, just loved how the diesel performed and the towing confidence we had in the mountains. Good luck with your decision.

· Registered
1,430 Posts
ust loved how the diesel performed and the towing confidence we had in the mountains
There is something extremely satisfying about pulling a 10k trailer up a 7% grade at 72 mph with throttle to spare and cruise on while passing a gasser without a trailer that sounds like the engine is screaming as you pass them, and they give you that look 😂 😂 ;) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Lot's of interesting points raised, but I don't understand why people keep mentioning the cost of DEF as a con. I'm buying it bulk for $1 to $1.2 Canadian per liter. The numbers are rough, but it looks like $0.01 Canadian per mile, I guess it adds up, but it seems pretty minor.
I don't mind the cost of the def, diesel, and general upkeep such as oil, fuel, and tranny filter changes. I'm mostly interested in just how much of a disaster the emissions are. Gas motors have emissions issues too, but they don't shut the damn engine down or come to 5mph because of an ingenious idea from the government.

My question is probably shortened down to: How often should I expect to bring this to a dealer for work, vs just relocating the emissions and fixing the minor issues that the engines of yesteryear had?

· Registered
2022 GMC 3500 CCLB SRW Denali
288 Posts
I don't mind the cost of the def, diesel, and general upkeep such as oil, fuel, and tranny filter changes. I'm mostly interested in just how much of a disaster the emissions are. Gas motors have emissions issues too, but they don't shut the damn engine down or come to 5mph because of an ingenious idea from the government.

My question is probably shortened down to: How often should I expect to bring this to a dealer for work, vs just relocating the emissions and fixing the minor issues that the engines of yesteryear had?
From what I have seen, the people who generally have emissions problems are those who modify their trucks or don’t use them as intended i.e. lots of short trips and not hauling. Using them as daily drivers for short trips. That’s just what I’ve seen though no data to back that up.

The other thing to remember is places like this on the internet are generally going to consolidate all the problems, people don’t post when they are happy. So it’s going to seem like more people are having problems then they are.

just my opinion I’m sure others will disagree.

· Registered
63 Posts
I wish I knew the answer to that question. There definitely have been some serious issues with the emissions on the L5P platform; I'm thinking failed heaters on DEF tanks primarily. I'm hoping that at this point this and other issues have been mostly sorted out by GM. I only have 10,000 km so I'm not a useful data point yet.

I don't use it as a short hop daily commuter.

Like another one of our board members noted the internet concentrates failure incidents without giving the big picture perspective of failure rate and cross industry and cross platform reliability comparisons.

Good luck with your decision.

· Registered
1,430 Posts
but I don't understand why people keep mentioning the cost of DEF as a con.
I don't think anyone is actually meaning it as a cost of def as much as using the word Def as a generic word for the entire system.

Reactions: Piper One

· Registered
1,430 Posts
At the end of the day I honestly wouldn't worry about that. I truly believe that if you are fine with the cost of ownership difference between gas and diesel get the diesel it won't be regretted. There are Alot of people extremely happy with their L5p trucks.

Your looking at the 17-18 model years, great Allison 6 speed tranny, with 110k miles on the truck and you've checked the service reports you're doing everything the right way. And if you can tell it was taken care of (immaculate) and you're not going any larger trailer wise that 2500 will do all you could ever ask it to do and with ease.

Don't screw with the emissions, just drive the truck and it will take care of you.

Reactions: Snoozer

· Registered
1,353 Posts
Well my 18 has almost 99K on the clock. Thus far it had a couple of failed glow plugs (early replacement under 30k on the clock) and the darn coolant heater recall done and still needs to have it redone b/c the first recall was also bad.

Other than that, fuel, DEF, and routine oil changes with grease every other change. I am only on the 2nd set of tires. I don't pull often enough and my normal day trips to and from work are under 20 miles. When it does Regen, I should drive longer distances.

Sorry I wrote injector don't know what I was thinking. Corrected.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well my 18 has almost 99K on the clock. Thus far it had a couple of failed injectors (early replacement under 30k on the clock)
Do you think the injectors were bad or just the connectors themselves? Sounds like those are common from what I've seen, no idea if GM has actually provided an updated connector vs some of the more custom pigtails that people have gone to with gold pins.

· Registered
1,353 Posts
Sorry I did not have injector failure like some, mine was glow plug failure. I edited the earlier post.

And those L5P with injector failures were all repaired under warranty. I am thinking it was a bad batch as some had 1 and some had all 8. I don't recall hearing of injector failures in the 19's and up.

· Registered
2022 Chevy 2500HD High Country
356 Posts
I started with a similar sized travel trailer and ‘15 2500 gasser. First trip to Colorado from Texas and I was shopping for an LML. Night and day experience after the switch. Less engine noise from lower RPM’s, exhaust brake, and longer range with improved mileage. Had zero issues with that truck up to 36K miles when I traded. Used mostly not towing. Got a ‘19 L5P. Used the same except with a FW. L5P has had 43K reliable miles. I’ve had one NOx sensor replaced and a screwy coolant reservoir. Never been dead on the road or had a check engine light.

The regen thing I do keep an eye on since I mostly drive around town with only a highway trip once a week at most. Highest speed around town is 55. Just last night took the long way home on some highway since traffic was light to wrap up a regen. Maybe excessive but it’s kept me out of trouble thus far.

The biggest thing to watch out for if you get an L5P is you’ll find yourself shopping larger trailers. No one mentions that part. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2022 GMC 3500 CCLB SRW Denali
288 Posts
I started with a similar sized travel trailer and ‘15 2500 gasser. First trip to Colorado from Texas and I was shopping for an LML. Night and day experience after the switch. Less engine noise from lower RPM’s, exhaust brake, and longer range with improved mileage. Had zero issues with that truck up to 36K miles when I traded. Used mostly not towing. Got a ‘19 L5P. Used the same except with a FW. L5P has had 43K reliable miles. I’ve had one NOx sensor replaced and a screwy coolant reservoir. Never been dead on the road or had a check engine light.

The regen thing I do keep an eye on since I mostly drive around town with only a highway trip once a week at most. Highest speed around town is 55. Just last night took the long way home on some highway since traffic was light to wrap up a regen. Maybe excessive but it’s kept me out of trouble thus far.

The biggest thing to watch out for if you get an L5P is you’ll find yourself shopping larger trailers. No one mentions that part. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This last part is very true. Been trying to convince the wife we need a bigger horse trailer ever since we bought our truck.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts