Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been trying to figure out what trans fluid to run in Allison 1000 5 speed transmission, and have been given quite the run around from a few people. I figure there's nothing better than hearing it strait from an Allison Tech at the Indy branch so I gave them a call. Here is what he had to say.

Use the recommended trans fluid for your specific transmission. Mine calls for Dex III, while GM says it is no longer available plenty of aftermarkets still make it and can be used. He said NOT to use Dex 6 (VI) because it will eventually cause the seals to harden and leak because the seals are not compatible with Dex 6. I was told it will not happen in a week or even months, but would be something that would come about in a year or so. He also told me to save my money and not to change the internal filter because they do not recommend it unless you are overhauling/rebuilding the transmission. He told me when I get my trans built to change it then just for safe measures. Lastly, he told me when I change the spin on filter there will be small round magnet most likely still attached to the filter and to make sure I got that magnet off cleaned it and put it on the new one because it catches small metallic flakes that the filter will not. As well as to get an Allison spin on filter because the aftermarkets are not of the same fiber, and that they cost the same as an aftermarket as long as you don't go through a dealer.

I will be running Dex III and an Allison spin on, which is what he and the owners manual suggest. He never said anything to me about a TES-295 oil to be used, although I never asked either. Sorry if some of you already knew this and that it's so long, but I thought it was some good information for anybody new to the scene like me.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Thanks for the information! Calling the tech lines for oil, transmission, filters, and just about any other product can usually dispel many of the opinions on these forums that are stated as fact. :drink

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
One other reason to get the Red Allison filter, is that the magnet will block the holes on some brands. First time I bought one from the local auto parts store was like this "magnet blocked to holes". Good thing I saw it before I put it on my expensive transmission.

·
Registered
254 Posts
wait where is the magnet...? I just changed mine and I am pretty sure there was no magnet...!!!! where can I buy a magnet so the truck has one?

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
You can get the magnet from the dealer for a few bucks. The problem with ordering online is shipping charges makes it not very cost effective.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
I ran Valvoline 100% synthetic Dex-VI in my Dex-III equipped '05 LLY for just over 3 years and never developed any leaks. Maybe it takes longer? Or not.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem guys glad I could help, I thought it was some good info. :drink As for the leak thing, idk how long for sure he just told me it took some time and wasn't something you would instantly see, but he did say they had that problem when they were testing them.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information! Calling the tech lines for oil, transmission, filters, and just about any other product can usually dispel many of the opinions on these forums that are stated as fact. :drink
That is exactly why I called the Allison Tech. :neener:D

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
We usually have a few filter magnets in stock. Correct that shipping hardly makes it affordable, but since we carry allison spin on filters, fuel filters, oil filters, and air filters, we can toss it in with an order of any of those things for no extra shipping charge :) Give us a call and we can probably work something out.

-Jesse

·
Registered
53 Posts
hey hook'em...I tried to find that picture of the fish hook in your avatar (since it looked like a chick that was into peircings or something) and was horrified to find the site with step by step instructions of how to remove a fish hook from that young boys lip...Fish Hook Removal. I feel dirty.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Thank you sir! I definitely did not have a magnet like that. Anyway someone has an online place to buy those...?
not sure how close you are to middletown but the allison dealer there (atlantic detroit diesel allison) has them for cheap. Also if you are in that area anytime, pick up a bunch of spin-on filters while you are there because the allison dealer is by far the cheapest place to get allison parts.

spin on filter from the GM dealer - 39.95
spin on filter from the auto parts store 25-30
spin on filter purchased online 12-15
spin on filter from the local allison dealer, ~8 bucks...

ben

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
...I feel dirty.
^^^:funny
The spring spawn is on.

That pic is why you don't fish 3 or more in a boat! :D

I think it was staged...
wonder how much it pays? :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts