Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a phone number or know how to get in touch with someone at gm that can make decisions my cp4 went out I have tried calling the gmc customer care number this peoe aren't even in the USA how sad I was supposed to receive a call from someone last week and still haven't received a callback I really think it's sad that an American company like this has moved there customer service off shore they need to take a lesson from Mercedes Benz USA I can call there Corp office and speak with people that are in the usa and have knowledge and authority

·
Registered
760 Posts
Damn man I hate to hear that. If you need a CP4 for cheap I just removed mine at 23k miles you can scoop up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The dealer can contact Corporate for you and start a review, if under warranty. The problem is, finding a good dealer. The CP4 is a known issue, so GM can’t act dumb. The Ford 6.7 uses the same IP, but since they have a lift pump the failures are not as common, and they can modify the CP4 so when it fails it doesn’t take out the injectors. Don’t know if that same modification will work on the LML’s. You can go with the Cp3 conversion, or stay with the Cp4 and add a lift pump. The CP3 would be better. Regardless you’re looking at over 10k to fix

·
Registered
299 Posts
CP4 is prone to going bad from lack of lube try 888-988-7267
================================
If that were true, the folks in here who have had CP4 failures in spite of "doing all the right things" didn't have them.

Maybe you can convince them that lube is the answer, and because they used a lube they didn't really have the dreaded CP4 failure.

As a side-note, I personally have been using a lube since I got mine at 70,000 mi - now approaching 81,000 mi - not about to drive that thing one block further, except for trip to the shop for the CP3 installation.

My CP3 conversion kit from S & S came last night. That was about $2,100. My local GM dealer has quoted me approx. $1,500. to install - I am sched. for next Monday-Tues.

·
Registered
299 Posts
T..... The CP4 is a known issue, so GM can’t act dumb..... You can go with the Cp3 conversion, or stay with the Cp4 and add a lift pump. The CP3 would be better. Regardless you’re looking at over 10k to fix
==========================================
A "lift pump" is the answer to the CP4 failure problem? Anybody have any statistics on that ? Anyone know of a CP4 "gernading" on a Duramax equipped with a lift pump?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dealer can contact Corporate for you and start a review, if under warranty. The problem is, finding a good dealer. The CP4 is a known issue, so GM can’t act dumb. The Ford 6.7 uses the same IP, but since they have a lift pump the failures are not as common, and they can modify the CP4 so when it fails it doesn’t take out the injectors. Don’t know if that same modification will work on the LML’s. You can go with the Cp3 conversion, or stay with the Cp4 and add a lift pump. The CP3 would be better. Regardless you’re looking at over 10k to fix
Truck is not under warranty. Its a 2012 with 75830 miles. I bought it new. I'M aware of the cp4 issues I am not new to the forum. Has been at dealer since 07/13/19 They say GM want help I just want to talk to someone that has 1/2 a brain and someone off shore. My dealer says they have not had to replace any of the cp4 replacement pumps in 6 or 7 years they claim its a revised pump.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Truck is not under warranty. Its a 2012 with 75830 miles. I bought it new. I'M aware of the cp4 issues I am not new to the forum. Has been at dealer since 07/13/19 They say GM want help I just want to talk to someone that has 1/2 a brain and someone off shore. My dealer says they have not had to replace any of the cp4 replacement pumps in 6 or 7 years they claim its a revised pump.
I would not go back with a CP4, you never know when those are going to fail, one bad tank of diesel and you are replacing it again. The dealer is going to install a CP4, unless you supply the CP3. Problem with that is they will not warranty the CP3.
The revised one fails just as bad.

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
The revised one fails just as bad.
where did you see that?
The CP4.2 is still the same bad design, has higher output. These Cp4 ‘s fail on all vehicles that use them (ford, VW, GM) But the failure rate is much higher on the GM, because they don’t have a lift pump. The lift pump adds extra fuel that’s used to lube and cool the pump. So they will fail on the others, but not as bad as compared to the lml.

·
Registered
85 Posts
==========================================
A "lift pump" is the answer to the CP4 failure problem? Anybody have any statistics on that ? Anyone know of a CP4 "gernading" on a Duramax equipped with a lift pump?
Yes trucks with lift pumps have grenaded a CP4, see the CP4 failure thread.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it's getting a cp4 it has been at the dealer since 7/13/19 that's the day it failed it was a saturday morning I had to do something then it is a company truck for my landscaping company the dealer started working on it yesterday they say it always takes them 2 weeks to get all the parts In they have been nice enough to loan me a new truck and said I can pull a trailer with it first time I have ever had a dealer loan a truck and say it's ok to tow a trailer with it I will just have to cross my fingers and pray this one stays together

·
Registered
396 Posts
The CP4.2 is still the same bad design, has higher output. These Cp4 ‘s fail on all vehicles that use them (ford, VW, GM) But the failure rate is much higher on the GM, because they don’t have a lift pump. The lift pump adds extra fuel that’s used to lube and cool the pump. So they will fail on the others, but not as bad as compared to the lml.
Lift pump has nothing to do with lubing, & cooling the CP4, just takes some of the strain off the CP4 doing all the work. Lift pump doesn't add lube with extra fuel, it' the fuel itself that needs the lube, that's why you should use an additive. CP4's have failed even with a lift pump, tons of threads on it, do some reading.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Everybody says add a lift pump to help your CP4 and I agree, I've had good results. I bought a 2012 with 98k miles and immediately added a FASS150 and got 244k trouble free miles out of my fuel system. It's nearly always mentioned that the lift pump pushing fuel to the engine takes strain off of the CP4 and I'm sure that's true. The part that is rarely mentioned is that the added filtration and particularly the water separator filter, will help send cleaner, more pure fuel to the engine.

I think something that gets missed a lot is the fuel that we buy, too. I buy almost nothing but minimum B5 bio fuel locally, which is known to be better than any fuel additives when it comes to lubricity, which is likely what determines the life of your CP pump. I wish there were some data on bio fuel versus non-bio fuel when it comes to life of a CP4 pump. Maybe it's out there but I haven't seen it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know if there is a technical service bulletin out for it? Mine blew yesterday and I am 15k miles over warranty, but still within the 5 years. Sometimes they extend for specific TSB issues, but I'm sure my luck is on the wrong side of this one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts