Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched already and cant find a straight forward answer. Can I reset taps with my autocal? if so how? installing my new built trans and need to reset the taps I was told. thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure? Dan Clarke from dans diesel told me I could, but he's on vacation out of the country now so can't get ahold of him

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Or a Tech 2

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try it once it's in. If it doesn't work can I drive it to the dealer to do a quick learn? I plan on having then do a quick learn with the tech 2 either way just don't want to mess something up

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok will do. thanks mike

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From what I understand is resetting taps and doing a quick learn are two different things. Quick learn with tech2 does it precisely rather than just reseting and hoping it learns how it's suppose to. But I could be totally wrong

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Clearing TAPs is setting them at zero. You cleared the memory of what the TCM has learned and adapted to date and all your shift schedules are now in limbo; diverged. TAP's are target applied pressures which the TCM is trying to adapt to. Fast learn with the tech 2 is a procedure where the TCM fills and exhausts clutch modules and times them till it gets close to what it is after. After this procedure is complete; stop and go driving will give the TCM the rest of what it needs. It will learn much faster with the fast learn kick in the pants.
Having said that; your Allison will never be as good as it can be without doing this. Some adapts refuse to learn unless this is done.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Makes sense now! thanks a lot :thumb

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I WAS able to reset all the taps with my autocal! But now I have to drive to a buddys shop tomorrow to do a quick relearn with a tech 2. can someone walk me through the steps of the relearn with a tech 2? Hes never done one before

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
You could call and ask Mike if he could. I did say ask as that'd be up to him

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.