Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving today and got “service stabilitrak”. Truck will not shift out of 3rd. Checked codes on my CTS and it shows a U0101 “Lost comms with TCM”.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
If it's the truck in your sig then yes 99% it's the tcm. You can check the wires going to and from etc but the early lmls have issues with tcms. Get one from rock auto or equivalent stick it on and limp it to dealer to get it vin locked.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I’ve read about all the TCM failures on early LML. Started the truck this morning and all was well. Shifted normal. Cleared the CEL and got ~5mi down the road before it did it again. Thinking once the TCM gets hot it craps out. Got it unplugged and cooling off now.

Short of a stealership visit I hear you can buy pre-programmed TCMs online. Anyone go that route?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Short of a stealership visit I hear you can buy pre-programmed TCMs online. Anyone go that route?
I bought a TCM on ebay quite a while back. It was programmed with my VIN. I verified that it worked and have carried it in my truck ever since just in case. Never actually had a failure, though.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bought a new pre-programmed TCM from Dans Diesel Performance. Pretty much the price of a new iPhone which is crazy... Still cheaper than a stealership visit. Should have it by early next week

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
How much was it?
I got one for 260 and was programmed for 100. Seen them online preprogrammed for 375 400.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts