Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
What year is your truck?
What were the symptoms?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had an 11 that had tcm failure, I think it would stay in 4th would not shift up or down could not use it in manual mode, there were more issues also. It was replaced under warranty. No reason was given for the failure and no way to prevent it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had my TCM replaced just a couple weeks ago. Mine's an '11. It was starting to freak out a little here and there. Symptoms were rough shifts, wouldn't down shift to 5th from 6th on the freeway when trying to pass, and occasional slipping. It just gave out on me completely on the freeway and locked in 5th gear. As you said, no manual shift and lost the gear indicator on the DIC. My TCM was replaced under warranty as well, and the truck now runs great and acts as expected.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine was replaced at 7500 miles. No warning at all, just dropped to 4th and stayed there and lost shift indicator lights, and traction control and stabilitrak warnings came on. I have almost 36k on it now and no problems since with the replacement TCM so who knows.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I had my TCM replaced just a couple weeks ago. Mine's an '11. It was starting to freak out a little here and there. Symptoms were rough shifts, wouldn't down shift to 5th from 6th on the freeway when trying to pass, and occasional slipping. It just gave out on me completely on the freeway and locked in 5th gear. As you said, no manual shift and lost the gear indicator on the DIC. My TCM was replaced under warranty as well, and the truck now runs great and acts as expected.
they warrantied it even tuned and deleted??

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mine was replaced at 7500 miles. No warning at all, just dropped to 4th and stayed there and lost shift indicator lights, and traction control and stabilitrak warnings came on. I have almost 36k on it now and no problems since with the replacement TCM so who knows.
When mine failed it there was no warning signs, I shut the truck off everything was working and when I started it up it quit. Same as you said, stabil track and traction control warnings auto door locks quit stayed in 4th.
Had to drive home 60mi then to the dealer 40 mi who after they diagnosed the problem sent me home with it while they ordered the tcm ?? then back to the dealership. In total about 220mi at 40 mph. Not good:help

Reactions: johnnywchacon

·
Registered
111 Posts
they warrantied it even tuned and deleted??
Yes sir. It's great to have friends at the dealerships! I take good care of the guys down there and in turn, they take good care of me. I always send them all kinds of side work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You guys got lucky. When mine quit last week, it locked in park while I was still driving. Just like stepping on the parking brake. Luckily I had made it into the parking lot, and was not at highway speed. They told me it was not a hard part so was not covered under power train. I am still within the three year window, but am out on miles for bumper to bumper.

*****Update*****
After reading the comments about the Federal Emissions Warranty, I looked in My Warranty Manual. Sure enough, there it is. Covered to 8 years/80,000 miles. I took the book back to my dealer and showed them. They were unaware as this does not automaticaly show up on the warranty program they use. They gave me a full refund of what I had paid and appoligized for the inconvenience.

Thanks to everyone who suggested this.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
MOHD, look at the Federal Emissions warranty parts covered list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
redwngr, I have done some more reading on the forum, and will go that route. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Mine gave out at like 45K.... basically got stuck in like 4th and I limped it to work and called the dealer.. fixed under my "extended" warranty.. lol

·
Registered
153 Posts
Anyone have any educated guesses on what the problem could be with these? I don't ever remember hearing about TCM issues on the older trucks, and I certainly never had an issue on my LBZ.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Never realized so many have had TCM issues until now. What's the damages to replace one of these if out of warranty?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Never realized so many have had TCM issues until now. What's the damages to replace one of these if out of warranty?
Looks like one of the local dealers has it for sale online and they show it as $553.34. I can post the link if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Hello all,

I'm sorry to hear of this concern with your vehicles. I cannot guarantee anything but I will be glad to take an extra look into this concern. Please send me a private message referencing this thread if I can be of any assistance. Thank you.

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine gave out at 62000 and not covered by warranty estimated charge is 895 plus tax
Federal emission warranty by the book cover only 5 years or 50k:(

·
Registered
44 Posts
You guys got lucky. When mine quit last week, it locked in park while I was still driving. Just like stepping on the parking brake. Luckily I had made it into the parking lot, and was not at highway speed. They told me it was not a hard part so was not covered under power train. I am still within the three year window, but am out on miles for bumper to bumper.

*****Update*****
After reading the comments about the Federal Emissions Warranty, I looked in My Warranty Manual. Sure enough, there it is. Covered to 8 years/80,000 miles. I took the book back to my dealer and showed them. They were unaware as this does not automaticaly show up on the warranty program they use. They gave me a full refund of what I had paid and appoligized for the inconvenience.

Thanks to everyone who suggested this.
I had this same luck, locked up on me and left me stranded in the road. Let's just say the people behind me at the stop light were very happy i wasnt moving when the light turned green but all i could do was wave Heyyaa .

I took mine to the dealership next to my house becuase i wasnt sure if i could make it to my uncle who is a chevy mechanic at another dealership. The dealership by my house wanted swindle me out of every dime i had. 500+ for the part and another few hundered for the labor i was looking at almost a grand to fix. I politely decline. Dealer cost for the TCM is only around 300 bucks if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Mine gave out at 62000 and not covered by warranty estimated charge is 895 plus tax
Federal emission warranty by the book cover only 5 years or 50k:(
Your TCM?

It's 8/80k miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Only California and couple other states got 8/80k
I live in Illinois so it's 5/50k

1 - 20 of 188 Posts