Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think my tcm went out this past weekend. 2011 w/ about 200,000 miles. Some of the symptoms described on this thread (Gear shift indicator missing, traction control light, hard clunking sound when put in gear, idle jumping around, random downshift while driving, etc.) It wouldn't hardly move at first. Disconnected and reconnected battery cables, and it would drive fine for a few miles before it acted up again. It had codes P0571, U0101, P2544, P0880. Reading on here, and checking the codes, it sounds like a bad tcm.

My questions are:

1) Would a tcm from another truck similar to mine, say one found at a salvage yard, work in my truck? Or do you still have to get it flashed by the dealership?

2) If you do get a new one off Amazon or somewhere, can you just send it to the dealer for flashing, instead of having to drive (or tow) the truck to them?

3) Has anyone tried the preprogrammed tcm from Ryan's Diesel? Looks like $450 or so. Also Dan's diesel has one for about $650.

4) Is there any other preprogrammed tcm options?

Thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You wrote
"Would a tcm from another truck similar to mine, say one found at a salvage yard, work in my truck? Or do you still have to get it flashed by the dealership?"

The answer is yes. It will work just fine. The vin that is flashed into the TCM does not have to be the same as the truck. Been there so I know
Just make sure that the year model match or the series. Example mine would need a 06-07 classic. A new body style 07 would work, but it would not have a display in the instrument panel.
Thanks. Would one from a GMC work in a Chevy, and vice versa?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I didn't find it on Amazon. The easiest solution is to find one that is the correct year model at a recycle yard. That way it would be plug and play..no programming needed..
Another question. Does it have to be the same year model? Would one from a '12 or '13 work on an '11? I think they all have the same controllers right? And pretty much the same body style.

·
Registered
135 Posts

This might help,,, I'm not sure My experience is limited. If you find one that is reported to be good and in that year model range, I think it will work. If it works, it works and if it doesn't, take it to a dealer and get it programmed. Should cost about a $100 to program it.
The A50 Transmission Control Module found in the 2011-2015 2500/3500 Duramax is prone to failure.
Thats what I'm trying to avoid, taking it to the dealer. Just don't trust them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Has anyone tried this?: g7computers.com

According to them they will fix your bad tcm, ecm, etc. $225, You send it to them, they fix it and send back to you. Quick turnaround, and a warranty! No reprogramming required!

My only reservation is you have to pay up front then also send your tcm to them at the same time....

It says they will refund if no problems are found with it also.

Looks legit, Any thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts