Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
181 - 188 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I didn't find it on Amazon. The easiest solution is to find one that is the correct year model at a recycle yard. That way it would be plug and play..no programming needed..

·
Registered
134 Posts
I didn't find it on Amazon. The easiest solution is to find one that is the correct year model at a recycle yard. That way it would be plug and play..no programming needed..
Another question. Does it have to be the same year model? Would one from a '12 or '13 work on an '11? I think they all have the same controllers right? And pretty much the same body style.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This might help,,, I'm not sure My experience is limited. If you find one that is reported to be good and in that year model range, I think it will work. If it works, it works and if it doesn't, take it to a dealer and get it programmed. Should cost about a $100 to program it.
The A50 Transmission Control Module found in the 2011-2015 2500/3500 Duramax is prone to failure.

·
Registered
134 Posts

This might help,,, I'm not sure My experience is limited. If you find one that is reported to be good and in that year model range, I think it will work. If it works, it works and if it doesn't, take it to a dealer and get it programmed. Should cost about a $100 to program it.
The A50 Transmission Control Module found in the 2011-2015 2500/3500 Duramax is prone to failure.
Thats what I'm trying to avoid, taking it to the dealer. Just don't trust them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Has anyone tried this?: g7computers.com

According to them they will fix your bad tcm, ecm, etc. $225, You send it to them, they fix it and send back to you. Quick turnaround, and a warranty! No reprogramming required!

My only reservation is you have to pay up front then also send your tcm to them at the same time....

It says they will refund if no problems are found with it also.

Looks legit, Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Call JOhn Kennedy of Kennedy Sales Co, in Loyal WI. H can provide tested, programmed TCM's to you in the mail. All you have to do when you recieve his is to disconnect your batteries, pull your old TCM, Install the Kennedy TCM, reconnect your batteries. Ready to drive. All this assumes that your TCM is actually the problem. It probably is, but you never know.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not sure about them being able to fix a TCM. I honestly don't think anyone can fix a TCM from any Allison in those year models. I have better than 50 years of component board repair and when mine went bad, I took it apart. It is encapsulated and not repairable.
It is also my belief that the EFI if updated can flash the A50 if you know someone with EFI.
I drove for 10 days with a 2009 TCM in my 2007 LBZ. It worked perfect except I did not have a display. Took it to the Yates Chevrolet in Manistee Michigan and the tech programed it in 15 minutes. He told me that the TCM VIN does not have to match as long as it came from the same generation Duramax. The imbedded VIN is used to identify the flash part number.
John Kennedy can help. He gave me guidance on mine. I agree with Ron, give him a call.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2003 LB7 all the same symptoms.Trans was saying hot idle engine all the time, high shift points, replaced pressure switch twice, trans wire harness, and finally the tcm. Turns out the tcm failed internally. I bought a used one from facebook marketplace for $200 and I did not have to reprogram the vin to drive the truck. A shop I took it to after I replaced the switch replaced it again the harness then wanted 2,000 with tcm. I put about $300 in parts for the switch, $600 to pay the shop for mis diagnosis, and had to fix it myself 😃 just for anyone with future issues. There isn't really any posts other than this on this topic.

181 - 188 of 188 Posts