Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
141 - 160 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
TCM should be here today. Got it for $300 from Amazon with next day delivery. Hopefully it arrives in time for me to get it to the dealer today. I have a jam packed day Monday and my wife goes in at 3am...
Did everything work out after the new TCM.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Everything was perfect after swapping in the new TCM and having it flashed by the dealer. The dealer actually made me sign something saying that they advised me that flashing the TCM that I just installed would not resolve the issues I was having.. I didn't bother with an "I told you so" but mentioned I am available for consulations as they are obviously in need

·
Registered
4 Posts
Everything was perfect after swapping in the new TCM and having it flashed by the dealer. The dealer actually made me sign something saying that they advised me that flashing the TCM that I just installed would not resolve the issues I was having.. I didn't bother with an "I told you so" but mentioned I am available for consulations as they are obviously in need
What you end up paying, total? Wish I had the time but I had to do it right away so i paid for everything to be done by a shop.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Just did the same thing, 298 for tcm n 110 for programming

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
What you end up paying, total? Wish I had the time but I had to do it right away so i paid for everything to be done by a shop.

Same as Nic. $300 for TCM shipped overnight and $120 to flash it... still a rip off, but j swapped them in like 15 seconds... seems like a scam... why do they fail so often and why do dealer charge so much for a job that a mechanical retard like myself can do in under a minute

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
2003 duramax diesel TCM Failure HELP

We love our truck and it has been good to us. In Sept 2016 we got in it to come to work and it would not shift out of second. We determined it was the TCM . So we ordered one we were told it would be 2-3 weeks. The time came and went , we were told production issues , another delivery date came and went. We are now being told that GMC does not supply certain parts for vehicles past ten years old. So we are supposed to throw our truck away because of a computer glitch. Have not found any other alternatives.

We need help have filed complaints with Allison since it is made by them, GMAC and so on but so far we are not getting anywhere . Suggestions would be greatly appreciated PLEASE

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The early trucks did not have much problem with TCM- The trans speed sensor is in the back of the transfer case, -- the TC would get a leak and burn up the TC. Then the trans lost the speed signal and that affected the shift.

Also a dirty fuel filter would keep the trans from shifting-- would shift if you let off the throttle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The "flash" costs the dealer money... I'm assuming the dealer pays AC Delco the $3100/yr fee to access the calibration indexes and such. If we were friends, I would charge you the $55 for two-days access, download your unique calibrations to my laptop, and use my Tech 2 in pass-thru mode. So if you think about it, $110/hr shop rate plus whatever portion of the $3100 for yearly dealer access isnt too bad. The dealers are absolutely not a "non-profit service".
https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Same with me, I have a couple mdi and tech2 but don't pay for the subscription.... my time is free and tools, but not the software.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did any of you get check engine lights in conjunction with your TCM failures? I had the stuck in 4th gear thing twice this summer. A trans reset cured it both times. Then, all was quiet. For the last few days, I've had a check engine light even though it seems to be running fine. My H&S tuner says there are no codes, so I'm assuming it's from the TCM. A trans reset makes the CEL disappear temporarily, but it returns on the next start after driving.
My 2011 is currently doing the same thing as yours WhiteHD11. Only difference is I have Kory Willis EFI live. Did you end up replacing TCM? If not what can you update us on what happened?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 2001 2500 hd silverado 8.1 with the allison and I need a tcm.... anywheres I can get one cheap enough but works great like the stock one did for 16 years?

·
Registered
1 Posts
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! I found this chain and had given up on getting anything covered. Dealership had said not covered. I will be going in with owner manual info regarding emissions warranty. 2012 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax, 63,750 miles on it... TCM went.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 2500 driving along the service traction control flashes checked engine flashes power cuts out the whole thing might last 2 seconds then every thing back to normal also it will just die at idle flashes the same stuff could this be a tcm problem

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
For the many of you who are having TCM problems, call John Kennedy, Kennedy Diesel, Loyal, WI and see what he can do for you. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2011 GMC Duramax having the same problems it always says shift inhibited go to neutral if I shut the truck off 2 or 3 times then it works good now it is shifting hard between 4th and 5th gear and downshifting really hard between 5th and 4th when it says shift inhibited I can still put it in 4 Low four high or two wheel drive thinking it is the TCM but not too sure and the price is pretty high to guess

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay i have a question i have a 2014 Chevy 2500 ltz with 41k miles on it and it is fully stock i was at a dead stop and i pulled out in front of traffic and had to get down on it and when i hit about 50 mph it like stalled for a second and then it shifted as i let out of it and anybody have clue what it might have been . This is second time it has done it in a week . Well i tried it again for shit and giggles as i was on my home on a 3.5 hour trip i pulled on the highway to a dead stop and then i pushed it to the floor and shifted fine until it tried to go to 4th it stalled at 2900 rpms and then backed down a tad and went to 3000 or 3100 rpms then finally shifted and it wasn’t hard at all . Then later when i got home i drove it normal and shifted through every gear just fine when it was in drive then i didn’t in manual as well and shifted fine to so i really don’t know what it is going on

Can anybody point me in the right direction

·
Registered
1 Posts
took my truck in after some issues it was the tcm.

What would cause this to go bad???
Also
what can be done to prevent in future???

Thanks y'all

sent from autoguide.com free app
i had same problem with my 2009 gmc sierra 3500hd 6.6 lmm dually. Dealership does not have the tool to diagnose this only allison can. My dealership could not find the problem they had to call engineers at flint, michigan which they directed them to just change the tcm. The tcm is supplied by allison at a cost of $175.00 and $115 for programing. My dealership ended charging me $960.00. When tcm goes bad you will see your p rndm1 underling not visible and that an indication tcm fail. Multiple codes and limp modes with set to n to reset not solving this issue. My tcm had a broken ground inside the tcm which connects to the heat sink only visible under a magnafing glass this maybe caused by extreme heat. There is a great deal of tech inside this tcm surpassing the nasa columbia shuttle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 06 duramax lbz 6 speed Allison says no communication between TCM an ECM all gears work fine an manel mode works fine sluggish at 30 to 40 mph an don't feal like it has all of its power any ideas

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another TCM failure on a 2011 lml diagnosed with help from this and a few other similar forums!! Thanks to all!!
Got PO700, PO708, PO967, V0100, PO847, PO734, PO708, P2670, PO842 codes. Truck was in 3rd and wouldn't shift. When you stopped and shifted between D or R it would shift hard. Engine idled high in P and stumbled some. I cleared the codes with my Autel AL439 scanner. It would shift again but still went in with a clunk. Later the same day I started the truck and had no response from the gear selector in any gear. I unhooked the batteries to reset and it worked again long enough to get me home. I then went through the following steps: cleaned all battery connections and grounds, load tested batteries, pulled the left inner front fender and spent an hour with a light and mirror and checked the whole harness for rubs- none, pulled the connector off the TCM, and the 2 on the trans and carefully checked for pushed back pins-none, checked fuses-good, pulled trans external filter and checked for fillings-none, topped up trans. After all that it would still move but really erratic and reved up between shifts sometimes, still shifted hard and idled high in P among other things. Bought new TCM of Amazon for CDN$410 including tax, which was here in 3 days, installed it and drove in limp mode to get programmed-CDN$110- Problem solved. Quite sure I would have been well north of $1000 had I taken it to the dealer. Plus I would have got the normal barrage of trying to up sell me stuff that I don't need that pisses me off to no end.

141 - 160 of 188 Posts