Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
161 - 180 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
i know this is old thread but figured i'd give a shout out GM4life86 for his post. saved me a giant headache and lots of money.

2010 GMC dmax 2500. started with shifty noise while placing in park...then got crappy shifting and stabilitrak light, engine light...loss of gear shift indicator, loss of rear view camera, stuck in whatever gear i was in when it coded.

Code: P0708 was the main code but there was many others. one time even the stabilitrak coded and i was stuck where it wouldn't shift into anything. towed to local mechanic and somewhere along the tow it knocked it loose and would be able to shift again like it never happened. Very sporadic when it happened.

ordered TCM off amazon, installed and ran to dealer where they flashed it for $100. so i was in for $350 and everything seems to be working fine. definitely shifting better and no codes yet.

figured i would make a post as it might help someone out like his post did for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another TCM failure on a 2011 lml diagnosed with help from this and a few other similar forums!! Thanks to all!!
Got PO700, PO708, PO967, V0100, PO847, PO734, PO708, P2670, PO842 codes. Truck was in 3rd and wouldn't shift. When you stopped and shifted between D or R it would shift hard. Engine idled high in P and stumbled some. I cleared the codes with my Autel AL439 scanner. It would shift again but still went in with a clunk. Later the same day I started the truck and had no response from the gear selector in any gear. I unhooked the batteries to reset and it worked again long enough to get me home. I then went through the following steps: cleaned all battery connections and grounds, load tested batteries, pulled the left inner front fender and spent an hour with a light and mirror and checked the whole harness for rubs- none, pulled the connector off the TCM, and the 2 on the trans and carefully checked for pushed back pins-none, checked fuses-good, pulled trans external filter and checked for fillings-none, topped up trans. After all that it would still move but really erratic and reved up between shifts sometimes, still shifted hard and idled high in P among other things. Bought new TCM of Amazon for CDN$410 including tax, which was here in 3 days, installed it and drove in limp mode to get programmed-CDN$110- Problem solved. Quite sure I would have been well north of $1000 had I taken it to the dealer. Plus I would have got the normal barrage of trying to up sell me stuff that I don't need that pisses me off to no end.
hah. almost exact detail of steps i did as well. ended up finding this thread and getting the same one off amazon and doing same thing!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys. Long time lurker here (lost my email associated with my original handle).

FWIW I am currently going through a similar issue with my local Chevy Service dealer (Stevens creek San Jose); my 2011 lml has 110k on odometer.

Limped it into the dealer Sunday night and left the keys and detailed info in the drop box. Monday morning I speak with a “service” guy and I inform him of the known TCM issue and that all indications point to that problem. Was told “wed by latest”. Fast forward to Friday and I finally get “diagnosis” per my calling them again. “Yup TCM it will be $1,600 to repair it. $600 for the part, 4 hours for install and .5 for reprogram. What irks me most is the 4 hour install comment. Does it really take that long to R&R a new TCM?

Coincidentally I was charged $1200 in a previous service at the same dealership to repair a wire that had been partially chewed through. In telephone convos they made it sound like the critter got into the wire loom. When I picked it up it was literally 1 wire that was repaired.

Needless to say I am looking for a new diesel mechanic in the SJ area.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
It takes all of 5 minutes to swap out the tcm and that's if I drink a beer inbetween the clips that hold it to the fan shroud.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for feedback. Right now the truck is at the Chevrolet service center. If I end up swapping out TcM’s myself do I need to bring any tools to do so in the service parking lot?

My general plan is to: buy the TCM and have it reflashed with my vin (I believe that’s all that’s required right?) drive to Chevy service center, disconnect batter(ies), install new TCM, reconnect batteries, clear any check engine codes, start truck and drive home. Sound right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: I the Chevrolet dealership ended up sticking me with a final bill of $1,300 (after negotiations from $1,600!). This was solely for the identification and repair of a faulty TCM on a 2011 Silverado lml with 110k mileage; Irregardless of my initial communication that I suspected TCM failure (the diagnosis fee alone was $380 if I took it elsewhere).

I called a few places locally who indicated roughly a $1k price tag as well. I guess Silicon Valley and diesel trucks just don’t get along.

The most frustrating part was the involvement of the GM corporate support/services. They opened up a case on this and found that the fee I was charged was “reasonable” but if there was “anything else I needed they could help me with that”... which I am unclear what they intended on helping me with given their lackluster results. With the wifey shopping for a new suv with three row seating I can promise it won’t be a Chevy given the shitty customer service and support both locally and from corporate.

What is a good civilian product for reflashing TCM’s, etc? Efilive? I am familiar with mega squirt on my drag car so programming is not foreign I am just struggling to find a clear answer on a good product that would let me plug into the port, reflash anything that may break in the future and pull codes/diagnostics. Also: anyone else in commifornia using something like efi live for repairs (stock tube)? I am concerned about potential smog issues.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
According to ALLDATADIY.COM. the TCM replacement is 1.4 hours (I guess the mechanic had a hard time finding out where the module was located) and the programming is 1/2 hour. I have no idea what your dealerships hourly rate is but a couple of hours for assessing the problem (I doubt it should take more than an hour) plus say 2 hours does not come out to $1600. I'm sure I don't know the entire story, but that's what I see from what has been presented.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had mine lose it's mind today. Have owned it 3 days already had to replace the thermostats. 2012 that has 95k on it and is bone stock.

Had been driving it for about an hour, mostly highway, get in to a town and stop for bit idling, waiting on someone, we meet, leave and stop at a Sonic, kill it for a few minutes then head back out.. pulling in to the road and suddenly get a speedo sweep...needle bouncing around then the Service Stabilitrak and Traction Control with the TC light on. Ran fine, shifted but gave the repeated warnings then stayed on. Kept driving and went about 20 miles, got fuel and started back up, not light nor issues. Checked codes when I got home, nada.

Very odd. Never had any shifting problems that I noticed and ran fine otherwise. Seems like if it was the TCM it would have locked up in gear or whatever after reading several threads on this. Thoughts?

I hope this isn't going to be a problem child....

·
Registered
11 Posts
At Christmas I had the same issue as discussed here. 2013 w/ 150,*** miles so I went the Amazon ACDelco route and paid dealer to flash. No problems after that, until this week.

Earlier this week the truck wouldn’t start, turned the key three times and it partially turned over, but wouldn’t start. Check engine light was one so I scanned it, same low operating temp code I’ve gotten in the past, cleared it before and never had an issue. I cleared it and it started fine after that. Today I turned the truck off and the stereo made a loud “pop” noise. Then on the way home the stereo started to stutter, dash lights flickered and the “service stabilitrack” warning displayed on the dash. Then it all just vanished and everything was fine.

My question is, did I really just buy a bad part (I bought the warranty when I purchased it) or is there something with the truck that is causing these TCM’s to go bad? When I replaced the factory installed one, I check for wire wear and didn’t see any.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
TCM

You send them your VIN. Had to replace mine last year. 2012 LML. Yeah I thought it was expensive but I knew a dealer visit would be 2x minimum.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
You can get them for around 300 or so and most dealers charge 110 to flash it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think my tcm went out this past weekend. 2011 w/ about 200,000 miles. Some of the symptoms described on this thread (Gear shift indicator missing, traction control light, hard clunking sound when put in gear, idle jumping around, random downshift while driving, etc.) It wouldn't hardly move at first. Disconnected and reconnected battery cables, and it would drive fine for a few miles before it acted up again. It had codes P0571, U0101, P2544, P0880. Reading on here, and checking the codes, it sounds like a bad tcm.

My questions are:

1) Would a tcm from another truck similar to mine, say one found at a salvage yard, work in my truck? Or do you still have to get it flashed by the dealership?

2) If you do get a new one off Amazon or somewhere, can you just send it to the dealer for flashing, instead of having to drive (or tow) the truck to them?

3) Has anyone tried the preprogrammed tcm from Ryan's Diesel? Looks like $450 or so. Also Dan's diesel has one for about $650.

4) Is there any other preprogrammed tcm options?

Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You wrote
"Would a tcm from another truck similar to mine, say one found at a salvage yard, work in my truck? Or do you still have to get it flashed by the dealership?"

The answer is yes. It will work just fine. The vin that is flashed into the TCM does not have to be the same as the truck. Been there so I know
Just make sure that the year model match or the series. Example mine would need a 06-07 classic. A new body style 07 would work, but it would not have a display in the instrument panel.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Im running Dans diesel TCM for the last year

·
Registered
134 Posts
You wrote
"Would a tcm from another truck similar to mine, say one found at a salvage yard, work in my truck? Or do you still have to get it flashed by the dealership?"

The answer is yes. It will work just fine. The vin that is flashed into the TCM does not have to be the same as the truck. Been there so I know
Just make sure that the year model match or the series. Example mine would need a 06-07 classic. A new body style 07 would work, but it would not have a display in the instrument panel.
Thanks. Would one from a GMC work in a Chevy, and vice versa?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, no difference. If you go with a used one, go easy on the acceleration until the trans learns,

161 - 180 of 188 Posts