Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was told that's why all duramax/allison owners use efi live. It'll save your truck tranny.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
What do you use your truck for?

They should be able to set your ECM properly with defueling at shifts to help your trans

According to mike L. Tcm tunes are useless

·
Registered
457 Posts
If tweaked right it will help at the track or pulling a sled but not sure about daily driving and making it last longer. It for sure will not make it stronger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had my Trans serviced recently, it was time for fluid and flush, I was thinking that the trans was feeling sluggish so had it check everthing was good, so loaded up a trans tune and yes it did firm things up. I know if I want to run a more agresive tune I should look at a trans kit. With EFI live most tuners provide the option to load up a trans tune also.

·
Registered
206 Posts
When your pulling a camper, I would think you would want a tranny tune, and as for me, I like to get on it sometimes from take off, push it a little more than I should, so I'm gonna go with a tranny tune anyways.

·
Administrator
17,009 Posts
I would personally call your tuner and ask them their opinion based on your application. I tend to recommend TCM tuning if you ever run on a track.

·
Registered
392 Posts
i have a tcm tune in my truck and love it , the one i have sucks pulling a trailer tho its a wide open throttle tune only

·
Registered
206 Posts
i have a tcm tune in my truck and love it , the one i have sucks pulling a trailer tho its a wide open throttle tune only
You don't like your pulling tranny tune?, please explain, I will be getting tuned shortly, and didnt want to make any mistakes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
mine wasnt built to tow at all its a race only tune in tow/haul it locks the converter faster and has higher shift points, outa tow/haul it drives the same just higher shift points

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had it multiple times, I thought the tranny would shift too early when towing, or even just taking off from a stop light, with nothing behind it. Guess that's why they say that efi live is the only way to go, constantly able to modify your tunes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
efi is the only way to go with the duramax nuthing else compares to it, whoever you get to tune your truck just tell them what you do with it and they will set you up

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
I asked this question about getting tranny tuning on my own truck.

this is the answer i received.. id say its worth it.

No layover on the 1-2, 2-3 upshift. 4 low second gear start. More eager to downshift out of 5th and 6th for passing. General improved shift schedule.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
When Bob sent me my DSP5 tunes, he also sent me a TCM tune.

here is what I can tell from it:
Faster shifts 1-2, 2-3 (much more of a solid feeling shift at WOT)
Raised shift points, mostly on the 4-5 shift, which will shift at 3750 or so now. makes it very nice when racing someone but not so nice when trying to accelerate on teh highway without downshifting.

At normal throttle inputs there doesnt seem to be much difference. All in all I like the TCM tune a lot, and badly need a built trans now. I am sure that if I had a built trans I would like the tune even more, as I wouldnt have that constant ass pucker feeling of waiting for limp mode to come along again.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
You ONLY NEED A tranny tune if you have an aftermarket turbo and you need to change the shift points to keep your upgraded turbo in its optimal rpm range to keep it efficient...........

Otherwise it is a waste.....

·
Registered
206 Posts
You ONLY NEED A tranny tune if you have an aftermarket turbo and you need to change the shift points to keep your upgraded turbo in its optimal rpm range to keep it efficient...........

Otherwise it is a waste.....
Hey, does that mean and go for anybody that's pulling a lot of weight to?, them boys at atp, and other places are all saying its a must, Wtf are we supposed to believe?. Everytime I think I have something figured out on this dam truck, it changes by the second. Please help us all out that don't have a clue, I pull I lot of weight with my dump trucks, and boom trucks, and know I have to have higher shifting points, i hate it when it shifts to early.
And I am not using this truck as a race car, like just about everyone else on here it seems.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Prob should of bought a manual trans.!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey, does that mean and go for anybody that's pulling a lot of weight to?, them boys at atp, and other places are all saying its a must, Wtf are we supposed to believe?. Everytime I think I have something figured out on this dam truck, it changes by the second. Please help us all out that don't have a clue, I pull I lot of weight with my dump trucks, and boom trucks, and know I have to have higher shifting points, i hate it when it shifts to early.
And I am not using this truck as a race car, like just about everyone else on here it seems.
That's what I have figured out. What ever someone else says most likely someone else will tell you different. You have to figure out who your going to believe. And sometimes you just have to do what you want to do.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.