Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck is in my signature. No current mods, mileage is now at 245,000.

I just ordered and received my MotorOps tuning, and I'm waiting for my 5" exhaust to arrive tomorrow.

Truck is my typical daily driver, especially in the winter when I need more ground clearance than our Jetta allows.

I tow our 5th wheel (8000#) once a month or so and the boat (2500#) about the same frequency.

I drive about 75% highway 25% city, and I don't typically get after it unless I'm in a playful mood and need that grin that only a Dirtymax can provide.

My question: I intend to run my truck on the economy setting of the tunes (100 hp I believe) when I'm not towing. With everything I've stated regarding my truck and driving habits, do I need to look long and hard at also getting my TCM tuned, or should I continue to trust the Allison to do it's job and just not be a moron with my truck? What is there to gain from TCM tuning? Any recommendations from other LMM owners on TCM tuning to consider, if any?

Thanks for the help, guys.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
No dropping the trans, just the trans pan.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
With a quarter of a million miles on your trans you allready have clutch damage. Now you want to add 100HP. Get ready for trouble. Trans tunes are worthless and puts hundreds of dollars in the tuners pocket. Good luck.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for the input regarding the trans tunes @Mike L.

I'm fully aware that I am sentencing my transmission to an earlier death by throwing the additional hp at it. But if a couple hundred dollars worth of TCM tuning could prolong that inevitable failure, it could be worth it, hence my questions. If it won't help, then I will just keep on going until it's time to rebuild the transmission.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
TCM tuning on a trans with that many miles won’t do anything to make it last longer.
It really doesn’t do as much as people think, and these trans safe tunes won’t work if you have a lead foot, you’ll need a built trans to hold up.
Why are you so content to add that much hp in the first place?
Remember the engine also has high mileage as well, big tunes will also hurt the engine.

Not that long ago another member felt so cool by adding 150hp that he’s ran for several years, then started complaining of a large mileage drop and smoke out the exhaust.
I suggested that he run a lower hp tune and see if he had better results, told me I don’t know what I’m talking about he’ll never take it off 150hp, so I’m by-by.

I’ve never understood people thinking they can just add a bunch of hp without having issues with everything being stock except for tuning and maybe a CAI and open exhaust.

Might as well look into getting a high cash revolving home equity loan, unless you have real deep pockets.

I only have tcm tune because I was asked to try it out then report back the results because they was just starting to try a few things with tcm tuning and wanted their customers opinions.
The shifting is a little more consistent, and the converter locks around 48-49 instead of 50-51 in 5th gear in drive.
But in no way will it make a trans bullet proof.

If I had to pay for a tcm tune I wouldn’t do it, TransGo jr would be just a good.
But that wouldn’t even help a high mileage trans by adding 100hp.

I guess all you can do is go for it, cross your fingers and toes, but be prepared for disappointment.
“Good Luck with whatever you do”

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well the tuning is being added for a couple reasons. The first is that I'm throwing the clogged EGR code almost daily, so I either need to remove the EGR cooler and clean it, or tune it out. Tuning it out also lets me get rid of the DPF.

I am intending to run the 100hp tune purely to test the higher mpg claims. I have over 1 year of fuel economy in my truck recorded and hand calculated with the stock equipment and I figured this is a great way to be able to put on paper the results of deleting and running "economy tune".

I don't have a lead foot, and I'll honestly be content using the optimized stock setting and the tow tunes, but I'm going to test the 100 hp tune for a bit first. I have no intentions of using the race tune in this truck. Not on the stock transmission.

Thanks again for the reply and the conversation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts