Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this earlier, but inadvertently put it in the build threads page. Where it didn't get any replies. Anyone have any comments on Tech 2 useage?

I picked up another DMax, an LBZ this time. I need to have the ecm reflashed with a stock program to get it to pass emissions. I have investigated many avenues and am still trying to come to a conclusion.
I can have it reflashed for $150. It also have to replace the abs module and bleed the abs valve. A tech 2 would be helpful. It would also be helpful to read balance rates, etc. used they seem to be selling for $400-$600.
Question is, how difficult is it to learn to reflashed an ECU with a tech 2? Where do you find the vin specific programming? How much does it cost.
I am not likely to keep this truck. I will probably sell it and get something a few years newer, or at least not beat quite as hard, so a tech 2 would still be useful in the future.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
If you find a REAL Tech 2 and not a knock off for 4-600 bucks I would jump on it. Have them send you a picture of the back of the unit with the serial number. Most shop scanners with bleed the ABS and check balancer rates. As far as the reflash, its not a standalone unit. You must get on the AC Delco site to do it. I have a real tech 2 and it works great. I have a Genesis scanner and they use to offer the standalone reflashng for GM. Bad thing is it crashed on me. I know a local shop bought what he thought was a real scanner only to find out it was a clone and wouldn't work on the ac delco site.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have a china tech 2 and a china tech3. I recommend the tech 3 as you can pay for a 3 day subscription to program things from what I am told.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a china tech 2 and a china tech3. I recommend the tech 3 as you can pay for a 3 day subscription to program things from what I am told.
What supplier did you use for the Tech 3?
What was the cost?

I have an LBZ and need to code XU2 to get the full DIOC info from the steering wheel switches... trying to figure out which one I neeed for that as well as brake bleeding, injector balance, etc.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Just a cheap 500$ one and a cheap 200$... where are you located?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Just a cheap 500$ one and a cheap 200$... where are you located?

I was going to say borrow mine in az... but you are in California..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try this...

Automotive Diagnostic Tools - GM Scanner - Cheerwing.com

Which one, the first one? 'dunno;:smile2: And I don't see a serial number on the back, is that a concern?

I know I need the CANDi interface, what about the MDI? Looks kind of pricey, and from what I've read, not necessary for my truck. I haven't worked at a GM dealer since the early-mid-80s, we were still on OBD1 then LOL Plenty of experience working on everything since then, but I'm not up on GM-specific tools. :frown2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts