Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this the norm? I was averaging 16.9 mpg until the the local fill up station added winter additive to their fuel, plus I started running stansdyne performance to help with gelling. I've now dropped to 15 mpg average. Is this typical for winter driving?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I liked 16.9 better.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Yup. Winter fuel = lower mpg.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Will plugging it in overnight help with fuel mileage, maybe warm it up faster?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I usually have it plugged in a few hours before I drive anywhere. It's garage kept too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm down fuel mileage already too and it isn't even that cold in Virginia :mad:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's pretty cold here in Wisconsin. I've had the grill cover on too. Not sure if that affects anything.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Yep, winter fuel + the fact these trucks are pretty thirst until engine/coolant temps get up to normal operating temps ~185*

I agree though, 15MPG is still doing pretty good

·
Registered
5 Posts
Plus the fact that it takes awhile for all the gear lube and tranny to warm up. Takes more HP to move that cold truck down the road.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's pretty cold here in Wisconsin. I've had the grill cover on too. Not sure if that affects anything.

That grill cover makes a world of difference!! I was hunting up in Thorp (Clark county) and my truck never got warm with -6 temps. Put that cover on and I was roasting marshmallow in 15 minutes. Drove all the way down to Tennessee with it on.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I does make it warm up faster. Just wasn't sure if it affected fuel mileage.

·
Premium Member
15,249 Posts
Is this the norm? I was averaging 16.9 mpg until the the local fill up station added winter additive to their fuel, plus I started running stansdyne performance to help with gelling. I've now dropped to 15 mpg average. Is this typical for winter driving?
Are u deleted? I'm guessing not..I juts delivered this morning in VA. I'm pulling the 25ft goodbeck back running 75 getting 14.3...no bs ha

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My guess is that its due to the winter additives. I'm not deleted, but thinking about it. Just hate to lose my warranty. Been definitely tossing around the idea though since I've been regenning 1-2 times per tank. Actually getting a quote for a full delete now.

·
Premium Member
15,249 Posts
My guess is that its due to the winter additives. I'm not deleted, but thinking about it. Just hate to lose my warranty. Been definitely tossing around the idea though since I've been regenning 1-2 times per tank. Actually getting a quote for a full delete now.
Man I was the same way and said screw it and pulled the trigger! Just wish I had done it sooner! I was regening every 200 miles and getting like 14.5-15 on the hwy. now I'm at 19.5.!! And sounds amazing!! Get ahold of Erick (Konahoss) he will hook you up!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What year is your truck? Dealer give you a hard time about it at all or haven't they seen it yet? I'm not in an area that does emissions checks at all, but not sure if dealer would "call it in".

·
Premium Member
15,249 Posts
Mine is a 08 and I'm from Bama so no emissions here. I know the guys at the dealership pretty good but I haven't had any trouble out of the truck. I bought it with 85k miles on it and now it has 123,500. Been deleted for about 2k miles...I don't hold it to the floor all the time either because it's my only truck work/truck ha so I need it to last

1 - 20 of 34 Posts