Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '05 lly for a little over a month now and it's developed a very hard shake at shutdown with a small squeal at the end of the rumble. I realize its a diesel, but this is violent. Truck has 139k on the ticker, I'm guessing they are motor mounts gone bad. Been lookin at a set of MA h/p mounts just don't wanna spend the $400 and have it not be the resolution. Whatta you guys think?

Premium Member
Squeal at final shutdown usually points to a worn belt tensioner pulley.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grand...how much those usually run? Do it yourself job or should I take it in to the shop.

Registered
I just did mine the other week, new belt, tensioner pulley, 2 idler pulleys and alternator. Didn't take long at all, do it yourself.

Registered
I think the pulleys are like $20-25 a pc. Don't remember what the belt was. There are 2 idler pulleys just so ya know. Each one has a single bolt that comes out, easy to do with standard tools.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm lookin on gmpartsdirect, they have smooth or grooved pulleys...one is 14 and one is 38 bucks. Belt is for 145 or 105 amp w/ dual and the belt tensioner is $65. That sound right?

Registered
You need 2 smooth idler pulleys, 1 grooved pulley for the tensioner - not the whole tensioner, more than likely the belt for single alternator. Not sure if you have 2?

Premium Member
Grand...how much those usually run? Do it yourself job or should I take it in to the shop.
On your LLY, easy breezy stuff....you don't have the fan cage like the newer models.
A good quality belt, tensioner and 2 idler pulleys, about $150 at your local O'rellys parts.
As many know, always replace these in sets (belt/3-pulleys) at approx 100k miles.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I don't need the whole tensioner? Pretty sure only one alternator.havent really dug into the motor yet, I just ordered $1600 worth of parts from Meyers Performance (exhaust, intake, efi, pcv, EGR plate...) so of course this would start happening...does your rig shake a lot at shut down? Or should I pony up on some mounts too?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On your LLY, easy breezy stuff....you don't have the fan cage like the newer models.
A good quality belt, tensioner and 2 idler pulleys, about $150 at your local O'rellys parts.
As many know, always replace these in sets (belt/3-pulleys) at approx 100k miles.
Okay good to know, apparently previous owner didn't get the memo 30k ago! I'm do it tomorrow. First time doing it so hopefully I don't mess it up, gonna have to YouTube it

Registered
I had a idler pulley completely blow out going down the highway and started shredding the belt. Don't know how I even made it home that night. They are a really easy fix, don't be too worried about it. Good luck.

Premium Member
There are ways of checking mounts. But yes, compared to a gasser, there is a shake at stop.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you know how to check? I just called I O'Reillys for a price quote and they quoted me $90 alone for the tensioner, then $50 for the belt, so I just told him to stop while he's ahead. Ill just order from gmpartsdirect and wait half a year for shipment.

Premium Member
Give 'em these numbers:

Quantity-2
Gates庐 DriveAlign庐 - Idler Pulley
Part # 36310

Quantity-1
Gates庐 DriveAlign庐 - Tensioner Pulley
Part # 36239

Quantity-1
Gates庐 FleetRunner庐 Micro-V庐 - Serpentine Belt
Part # K061195HD

Registered
You can also just order them on Rockauto.com (good prices and fast shipping)

Registered
Same for LBZ?

HookemHorns, are those part numbers the same for our LBZs? I need to do this, too. Thanks.:help

Registered
Whats a good way to check the condition of the tensioner?
The PO of my truck mentioned changing atleast one idler, but Im not sure exactly what he changed. Ive noticed lately there is a quick squeal as the motor comes to a stop. Id like to change out the belt and pulleys but Im not sure if I should change the tensioner pulley or 'bite the bullet' and just get a new tensioner.

Registered
Whats a good way to check the condition of the tensioner?
The PO of my truck mentioned changing atleast one idler, but Im not sure exactly what he changed. Ive noticed lately there is a quick squeal as the motor comes to a stop. Id like to change out the belt and pulleys but Im not sure if I should change the tensioner pulley or 'bite the bullet' and just get a new tensioner.

I'd do them all at once because if either the idlers or the tensioner fail then you just lost a $70 belt too.
Unfortunately I had it happen to me shortly after changing an idler.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts