Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's going on durmax forum. I'm new to diesels/duramax ownership now so I thought this would be a great place to learn abt it.

I recently purchased a 2003 ext cab 4x4 hd with around 113000 miles for$11500 from a friend. What do i need to know abt maintance and what not. And im looking into purchasing new rims and tires for a more offroad aggressive look along with exhaust, chip and air intake. What are good brands and cheap places to look? Thanks for all the help and see ya around.

Erik

·
Ain't lookin' back
278 Posts
Welcome to DF and congrats on your purchase. :cool:

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Welcome to the DF! First thing is the 03 has the lb7 engine. It is known for bad injectors but there is the occasional truck that will last 200k before it needs them. Most will tell you that the stock airbox on your truck is good to 500 hp. You can look up the PPE air box mod to get a little more airflow. Most people here are running MBRP exhaust. Diamond Eye and Silverline also. Go with a dp back 4 or 5 inch and there pretty easy to install on your own. As for a chip most people including me will recommend EFI Live custom tuning from a knowledgeable tuner. Get your wallet out because this site will make you spend money!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
LB7 Air box is crap, suggest upgrading to LBZ intake & mouthpiece
I would run a treatment every other fill up minimum (something to help keep your sticks clean and has some lubricity) I use Diesel Kleen but its really all in your preference.

Check your oil regularly and watch out if you start making extra oil...it will be likely due to diesel dilution and it sucks bro, been there done it.

Exhaust you can go with MBRP or DE when you get straight pipe it is just pipe you are buying, Mr. Manners is a good guy with alot of knowledge about oils and additives and can steer you in the right direction with aftermarket parts as he sells them.

Welcome to DF and don't hesitate to ask me anything, if I can't answer it I will point you in the direction of someone I believe can.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
^^^^^listen to Will. He's so smart, he's stupid. LOL. Jk

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I am trolling in a few other threads....I have to find one and be helpful in it to offset my negative impact on the forum to a slightly negative impact....it brings balance to the force

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I am trolling in a few other threads....I have to find one and be helpful in it to offset my negative impact on the forum to a slightly negative impact....it brings balance to the force
Spoken like a true troll. You are one with the force!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As the other have mentioned, a great tuning option is efi live. it has a few different setups set at different prices, so dont get scared away by the v2 cost once you initially start looking in to it. Also might I suggest going with better filtration to aid in making your injectors (hopefully at least) last as long as possible? An airdog II 165 would be perfect, however you could also run a nicktane setup for increased filtration on a tighter budget.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Welcome to the forum

- Adam

·
Vendor
10,959 Posts
Welcome to DF. Regular maintenance is important especially the fuel filter and tranny filter. You will be amazed what replacing the fuel filter will fix. Most change fluids based on mileage and not the DIC. There are many good brands of fluids and countless threads that debate each one. Best recommendation is to research the forum for what you are considering then ask questions.

If I can ever be of assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah that's the first things I've done since buying a used car. Changed oil to amsoil and changed fuel filter and starting on putting diesel additive to fuel. I'm not looking for crazy power just to sound good and get better milage on the truck. I'm sure some stuff will be pricey but I bet its still cheaper than fixing up a C6 Corvette LOL. We shall see. Thanks for the tips tho.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Finally someone else from midland!!!! :d

·
Registered
772 Posts
Finally someone else from midland!!!! :)

·
Registered
772 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts