Subd

·
Registered
21 Posts
great read and pics cant wait for final product good work

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,557 Posts
Dude, that's fricken awesome! Gonna be a kick ass shop when you get finished :thumb

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Subd. Fixing to start a shop build myself.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well... Thursday night I brought in all the lumber (that we removed from the hay loft and kept) to the barn so it could dry out. They're all 2x10* (actually 9 1/2) douglas fir and are all straighter than an arrow. You can't buy this good of lumber at a lumber yard these days...

Friday I had to help my dad with his actual work so nothing on the barn got done. But Saturday we went out there and started framing up the walls.

I got a free door from a guy my dad was doing work for so I framed that in. I want the outside to look as original as possible so I kept the old door also.

Sunday was fathers day, but I got out and mowed since it had been 2 weeks and was being overgrown.

Instead of trying to remove the old windows and frame in new ones, I've decided to try to just put new glass in. I can get insulated pieces of glass cut to size to do the whole barn for the price of one window, so I'm going to try that and see how it looks.

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
Very interesting-- and nice to have great family that has good equipment and will help. Going to be a great place when done.

Love the before- during and after pictures. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Nice work :thumb

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Got the dirt dug down as far as we needed and there was no way we could screed the dirt, since it's hard clay. So, I ordered some gravel and we put a layer of that down and started screeding. We got all the stakes in and my drain made also. Oh, also I cut out another section that I'm going to pour also, and setup my mechanical room in there so it's not taking up room in the shop.

Also, took the doors off the front. I'll be rehanging them in the back.

Bored the holes for the electrical and for the water lines.

Foam and rebar showed up.

The plumber came out and we got all the holes augered in and the pipes ran outside. We got all the piping done inside also.

Hey man the logo on that dump truck looks familiar to me....is it Eggies (or sounds like) construction from Pelican Rapids MN by chance?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Wow that is awesome. I have always wanted an old barn like this. Put a sweet bar in the corner lol.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Very interesting-- and nice to have great family that has good equipment and will help. Going to be a great place when done.

Love the before- during and after pictures. Thanks
No doubt about that... if my dad didn't have every tool known to man I probably wouldn't have started this project :rofl

Hey man the logo on that dump truck looks familiar to me....is it Eggies (or sounds like) construction from Pelican Rapids MN by chance?
Yep, that is an Egge Const truck. I actually grew up next door to the owner. I've known them for about 20 years, so they have been giving me a pretty good deal haha.
Very impressive. You definitely have a one of a kind build.
Thanks!
Wow that is awesome. I have always wanted an old barn like this. Put a sweet bar in the corner lol.
I have the bar already being planned out and almost assembled :cool:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'll have to come up and try it out when you get it done haha.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Had to work Friday so Saturday morning I got out there early to finish framing up. We got the whole back wall, the utility room and the bathroom done.

Picked up some insulation to put between the rafters

Next weekend we're going to tie up a few odds and ends and them I'm going to the lake for the 4th. I'm ordering a garage door and steel for the inside on Monday, so that should be here in 1-2 weeks. It's coming along, slowly but surely.

21 - 40 of 153 Posts