Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

261 - 279 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
happy to contribute some cash! let me know how to send... thank you!
Toby
If you know how to do a PM then that is a good way to get contact info. I don't think he would like to post up in an open forum. I used paypal but maybe others would like to do something else.

To PM someone, left click on their user name. A list will open. From the list select the second item from the top, "send a private message to". A window will open that looks sort of like a thread post. Fill in what you want to say and then click "submit message" at the bottom of the window.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you know how to do a PM then that is a good way to get contact info. I don't think he would like to post up in an open forum. I used paypal but maybe others would like to do something else.

To PM someone, left click on their user name. A list will open. From the list select the second item from the top, "send a private message to". A window will open that looks sort of like a thread post. Fill in what you want to say and then click "submit message" at the bottom of the window.
Thank you, I agree, we got it figured out and taken care of.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
AlisoBob...Thank you soo much for a very informative thread. An eye opener for sure.
As DNewton is the Oil guy at Bobistheoilguy.com
You are the king of oil Filter reviews !
Thanks again for your extensive time and effort .

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Rotella T6. I have been doing UOA since day 1 and have slowly increased my oil change intervals.
How many miles are you running out to on Oil Changes now ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Thanks Again, both you guys have alot of time,knowledge & research I don't really much care for TV being a Type A & maintenance freak ....At least i get some good info here & there. Kudos Again

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
My wife said she was going out to "...test drive a few cars" .

She comes home 4 hours later with a 2020 Chevy Traverse.

The engine in that thing is the 300hp 3.6l 24 valve DOHC motor with VVT and a crap load of other high tech stuff. Its also has 3 long timing chains whizzing around at the speed of light that appear to be it's only weakness.

As a result, I'm looking for the best filtration out there, and based on this thread I am not going for the Baldwin, and am instead going for the Amsoil EAO17-EA filter. We run our cars out to 200k or so..... and I want those timing chains to make it.

In the name of full disclosure, I needed to tell you guys what I'm using in my own rides.

Willy ( Mr. Manners) is my source.....

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
The Traverse engine is whats called the "High Feature 3.6 L". It comes in a bunch of GM platforms. If you search the inna' net, there are horror stories everywhere regarding timing chain wear, skipping teeth, or flat out failures. ( It has 3 chains...) I want the best filtration possible for this thing, and the Amsoil filter offers 20 micron filtration at 98.7% efficiency, where the Baldwin is 30 micron, or 50% greater in size. 50% is allot, and made me go with the Amzoil product.

The trusty 6.6L Dmax does not have this "achilles heel"......and the Baldwin is fine.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
If your really bored, you can follow along here. By the way, the factory oil filter was full of trash and is the wrong filter for the application because the correct filter interferes with the engine mounting device used at the factory so they put on a tiny filter, but slap on a sticker with the correct part number... then when you buy the car that make a really big deal out of the "First Free Oil change" they want to give you.... but the real motivation is to get the car in ASAP to get the undersized filter off, and get the correct filter on.. it s a gigantic cluster [email protected]%k!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Have the timing chain failures been attributed to poor oil filtration? I get the feeling timing chains don't care if it's 20μm or 50μm as long as it has some lubrication. A more likely culprit for failure is the plastic chain guides wearing/breaking.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Our 2010 Traverse has about 165K on it. I've had to change the cam shaft position sensors and really focus on the intake.
The PCV was dumping a lot of oil to the intake even after new ones. Rerouted the PCV and ran a bunch of Seafoam into the intake. It helped but I do not want another DOHV.
As for the oil filters, I have been running the Baldwin for quit some time now. Knock-on-wood, without any issues.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
A more likely culprit for failure is the plastic chain guides wearing/breaking.
The guides are positioned by oil pressure to stay tight. The issue is chain and sprocket wear. The Gen 2 Traverse has upgraded parts, but I'm not taking any chances with them, or the variable cam timing phasers.....

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
A friend how owns his own garage just sent me this.... " Hey Bob, check out this Royal Purple oil filter. It looks like that Mobil 1 filter from Champion Labs. Guess what, this is a Champion Labs filter too! I'm crossing all Champion Labs part numbers off my spread sheet".
I replied.... " Good idea!"

·
Registered
514 Posts
Absolutely AMAZING !! All the photos that were missing from the big changeover/upgraded format have magically reappeared. Still don't care for the new format but at least it is now somewhat usable..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2020 L5P.

So if just use filters from the dealership are they good enough? This thread is way too long for me to keep track. Lol.

·
Registered
260 Posts
"good enough" yes but this thread is not really about that. Good to know that the AC filters are good. On my 2020 I use and have since changing out the factory fill after 600 or so miles the EA Amsoil filter and oil. If I happened to be on the road and needed to change my oil no issues with using the AC filter.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
My wife said she was going out to "...test drive a few cars" .

She comes home 4 hours later with a 2020 Chevy Traverse.

The engine in that thing is the 300hp 3.6l 24 valve DOHC motor with VVT and a crap load of other high tech stuff. Its also has 3 long timing chains whizzing around at the speed of light that appear to be it's only weakness.

As a result, I'm looking for the best filtration out there, and based on this thread I am not going for the Baldwin, and am instead going for the Amsoil EAO17-EA filter. We run our cars out to 200k or so..... and I want those timing chains to make it.

In the name of full disclosure, I needed to tell you guys what I'm using in my own rides.

Willy ( Mr. Manners) is my source.....
Great engine. It’s actually the second lowest tech V6 engine GM makes, next to the 4.3 FST engine. Chains shouldn’t be an issue as long as quality oil is used and it’s changed at regular intervals. I have “intimate” knowledge of the current HFV6 line of GM engines. Let me know if you have a any questions and I’ll do my best to help. 🍻

261 - 279 of 279 Posts