Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since the HID thread count is going through the Roof...

Here's a basic "How-To" so you n00bs can figure it all out. :D

HID's are "High Intensity Discharge" Xenon Lights. Click on the link if you want to see how they work... Ultimately it's not super important.. all you have to know is they're great, and you want a set post-haste

Basically they come in a "Temperature," Rated in Degrees Kelvin. Here's a generic picture of the different colors. You want to pick a color that you like, but remember.. some of your local law officers do not like HID's, and you can consult your local law office as to their legality in your area.

You'll need to find out what "Size" or "Style" bulb you have. To do that, I recommend going here. Bulb Fitment Chart that will tell you if you have H7, H11, 9005, 9006, or whatever....

From there, you pick what color, and what Wattage you want; 35Watts or 55watts. Again, I recommend 35W, they'll be plenty bright for you.

If you want to put HID's in all of your lighting (your Lows, Highs, and Fogs), you would need three (3) kits.

You DO NOT need anything called "Code Eliminators" or "Wiring Harnesses" You just need the kits themselves.

HID's will NOT melt your fog light housings, or anything crazy like that.

HID's are perfectly fine to use with Projector Headlights, just use 35w kits, and you'll be fine.

It's your choice if you want to do your High Beams as well, I don't see the need for it, but I live in the city, I'm sure many of you guys live in areas where you use your Highs a lot, so it might be worth it for you.

Installation is pretty simple, here's a couple tips.

These (2001 +) trucks are reverse polarity, meaning that you will have to plug the wire from the factory harness to the HID ballast in BACKWARDS.

Also, on the NBS (new body style) trucks, you will have to remove the airbox, and the drivers side battery to get better access to the bulbs. It's not that big of deal.

New Body Style Fog Lights are 5202, or H16.
Old Body Style CHEVROLET Fog Lights are 9145, or H10.
Old Body Style GMC Fog Lights are 880.

They should cost you no more than $40.00-60.00 per set.
Anything more than that, and you're paying too much.

Here is a picture of a HID "slim" ballast. The single wire on the bottom of that picture plugs into the stock wiring plug that used to go to your halogen bulbs. (this is the 'reverse polarity' issue we keep talking about, it'll hook up backwards to the way it looks like it should.

"Slim" Ballasts are just smaller than the normal sized ones... The are meant for installations in tight spaces.. your truck will have PLENTY of room for the larger ones, so it's up to you on which ones you get.

The two wires on the top, those go to the HID bulbs themselves, and those can only be hooked up one way.

Good luck!

Here is a Link to a How To Install Thread for GMT 800 aka OBS

Feel free and PM me if you have any more specific questions, I'll help in any way I can.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.