Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

661 - 680 of 2946 Posts

·
Registered
7,675 Posts
Yes and don't get it on anything you want to keep paint on. Then I'd wire wheel all the rust off, rough with an 80 grit, clean with something no greasy and use lint free rags, then I'd use acid etching primer 3 or 4 light coats, then whatever you want to coat it with. If you paint them I'd put a clear coat on em and then wax the shit out of them. Also maybe weld the ends closed would help

·
Registered
19,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #663
Yes and don't get it on anything you want to keep paint on. Then I'd wire wheel all the rust off, rough with an 80 grit, clean with something no greasy and use lint free rags, then I'd use acid etching primer 3 or 4 light coats, then whatever you want to coat it with. If you paint them I'd put a clear coat on em and then wax the shit out of them. Also maybe weld the ends closed would help
Looks like I'm going to Home Depot or Walmart for this. God I hate Walmart. Would rather slam my hand in a door then go there.

And you guys think it will eat through the powder coat?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Looks like I'm going to Home Depot or Walmart for this. God I hate Walmart. Would rather slam my hand in a door then go there.

And you guys think it will eat through the powder coat?
No... My local Napa/Riebes Auto has it...

Powdercoat, a torch generally works the best. I had a mtn bike frame that I was re-doing a while back, and couldnt get the powder coat off, the shop I brought it to to get coated used a torch to get it off...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Wish you were closer. I have oem black set of bars that I took off the truck when I put on my amps. I'd make you a hell of deal to get them out of my shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #666
No... My local Napa/Riebes Auto has it...

Powdercoat, a torch generally works the best. I had a mtn bike frame that I was re-doing a while back, and couldnt get the powder coat off, the shop I brought it to to get coated used a torch to get it off...
Interesting. Might have to try that

Wish you were closer. I have oem black set of bars that I took off the truck when I put on my amps. I'd make you a hell of deal to get them out of my shop.

Yeah. I like the look the n fabs. I really do. Just not sure where to go with them. I plan was to try and do something cheap to make them last for a couple more years and then get another set.

·
Registered
19,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #668
Never thought of torch but makes complete sense as.powder is baked on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Give me a few hours and I'll let you know. Lol

·
Registered
19,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #670
So my new plan as of 45 seconds ago.

Burn off the powder around the rusted areas to get to good metal. Sand the rusted areas along with the remaining powdercoat to rough it up. Prime it all then bedliner it. I think the bedliner will help cover up the imperfections in it. If they last a year. Sweet. If they last 2 years even bettter! I just have other things I want to buy for the truck so new n fabs are not a high priority

·
Finally! Wheels on!
8,869 Posts
POR15. Then bedliner

·
Registered
285 Posts

Are those still there n your shop?? Pm me with details I'm interested

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
So my new plan as of 45 seconds ago.

Burn off the powder around the rusted areas to get to good metal. Sand the rusted areas along with the remaining powdercoat to rough it up. Prime it all then bedliner it. I think the bedliner will help cover up the imperfections in it. If they last a year. Sweet. If they last 2 years even bettter! I just have other things I want to buy for the truck so new n fabs are not a high priority

What bed legacy net are you gonna gonna use?? I sprayed raptor liner on the floor of my boat when I red Eckes it and it turned out awesome plus you can get diff colors like, make the nfabs black but coat the step part Hite would be cool looking kinda like this IMG_0031.jpg

·
Registered
285 Posts
What bed legacy net are you gonna gonna use?? I sprayed raptor liner on the floor of my boat when I red Eckes it and it turned out awesome plus you can get diff colors like, make the nfabs black but coat the step part Hite would be cool looking kinda like this View attachment 918410

I meant what bedliner are u gonna use I hate autocorrect

·
Registered
19,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #675
Got the nerf bars scraped, sanded, burnt, scraped and now primed. Going to try and get 2 more costs of primer on them before I coat them in Berliner on Sunday.

Decided to do tires first then the the replacement bed in time. Still leaning heavily towards the BFG AT.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Decided to do tires first then the the replacement bed in time. Still leaning heavily towards the BFG AT.

What about the coopers at3, my buddie has an f350 got less then 20k on his BFG'S has got almost 40 k on coopers and loves them that's my next tire for sure. Better traction all around he says

·
Registered
7,675 Posts
I have at3 on my wife's nissan armada and hate them...thing just wanders everywhere. Can't wait to get new ones

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have at3 on my wife's nissan armada and hate them...thing just wanders everywhere. Can't wait to get new ones
Had them on my LB7. Hated them, one of the guys I work with has them, he put about 8k on them and took them off and replaced with the BF Goodrich he hated them so much...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wow now you got me wondering

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Had them on my LB7. Hated them, one of the guys I work with has them, he put about 8k on them and took them off and replaced with the BF Goodrich he hated them so much...
Mine are great. They perform towing, in wet weather and snow. No issues.

661 - 680 of 2946 Posts