Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have a good source for type-k wire? and any good ideas how to splice my thermocouple into my Banks 6-Gun and my pyrometer?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I dont think you can splice the wire. It would throw off your readings because the thermocouple has to be a specific length. If you want your 6 gun and pyro to read, you should drill and tap the other manifold. That way you can be confident that you have accurate readings.

BTW, :welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's not so much the length of the wire with thermocouples as it is with their material and the splices made due to heat characteristics of the materials used

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Ok, do what you want. Evidently you know more than I do.

FWIW, I do work on F-16s. When we find a break in a wire for a thermocouple, we have to replace that length of wire between bulkheads to be sure we have the correct readings. The wire has a certain resistance....resistance is related to length.

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not claiming to know more, i've just done alot of research on thermocouples and why they use a very spcific wire. I have a Banks 6-Gun with the Speedloader instaled in my truck and would like to splice in an Auto Meter pyrometer that i already have on hand. i didnt know if anyone else had done this with any success. Are they possible to splice together, or even wire my Auto Meter guage into the 4 pole plug that the tuner already has installed to run the Banks guages? any help would be great

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
ok...have you read the instructions to the autometer guages? http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/0593A.pdf

It states in the instructions that the harness cannot be shortened or lengthened without messing with the calibration of the guage. Read it for yourself...it is on page 2 of the instructions...step 2 sentence 3. I dont know if all pyros have the harness like that guage, but if you were to splice into the existing thermocouple neither the 6 gun nor the guage would read right.

Can it work though...maybe, but why bother trying to save a couple of dollars on a very expensive motor?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts