Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope not but it sure seems to be. Just pulled the truck out of the garage to work on a 4 wheeler and saw this when I went to put it back up for the night. Truck hasn’t been driven in a couple days.
Leak is primarily on the passenger side between oil pan and bell housing. Getting a drip every 5 seconds. What y’all think? And what is the seal replacement difficulty on a 1-10?
Tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Auto part Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Muffler Tire Automotive tire Asphalt Floor Wheel

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hope not but it sure seems to be. Just pulled the truck out of the garage to work on a 4 wheeler and saw this when I went to put it back up for the night. Truck hasn’t been driven in a couple days.
Leak is primarily on the passenger side between oil pan and bell housing. Getting a drip every 5 seconds. What y’all think? And what is the seal replacement difficulty on a 1-10
So I loosened this cover thinking I may be able to see evidence of the rear main seal leaking and coolant started pouring out. Its on the passenger side of the tranny. Anyone know what this cover is for? Does the Allison have coolant passages? Auto part Engine

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Yes there is coolant behind that plate and often leaks on it own... Thats not access to your RMS.

That is still your engine... the seam behind it is your bell housing to the transmission

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes there is coolant behind that plate and often leaks on it own... Thats not access to your RMS.

That is still your engine... the seam behind it is your bell housing to the transmission
Thanks, so I believe I dodged a bullet. It seems that some coolant was dripping from the new hose I installed during the egr mod. It was dripping into the engine valley under the turbo and mixing with some gunk that made it resemble oil, then ran down between the tranny and oil pan.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
If your ever in doubt, feel inside the allison inspection hole on the bottom. If your finger is covered in oil, your rear main is toast. I dont think its all that common anyways. I may have read about 1 in the time i have been on these forums over the years.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your ever in doubt, feel inside the allison inspection hole on the bottom. If your finger is covered in oil, your rear main is toast. I dont think its all that common anyways. I may have read about 1 in the time i have been on these forums over the years.
I need to try and find this inspection hole tomorrow. Didn’t know it had one. Thanks man!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts