Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I was about to change some noisy u joints when I realized that this aluminum driveshaft has definitely fallen out before. Looks like it was spinning on the ground or something just shredding itself. I'll include a link to a quick youtube video I made this morning during my discovery. Should get you all the visuals you need to see what I'm talking about.

So my main question is can this end be cut off and rewelded? or do I need a new driveshaft? All the driveshaft shops are closed right now and one of the smaller "full service" shops near me says that can't be done and must be replaced... was thinking they just don't do that there... or so I hope...Don't want to stress about this all weekend lol. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would replace it as the drive shaft is under a lot of stress/torque.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If, and that's a BIG IF, you could find the tail end of that shaft, and IF you could find someone who has experience welding on drive shafts, it can be done. Just cut off the tail end at the factory weld, weld the new one on and have the drive shaft re-balanced.

The almost impossible part of this ordeal is to find a new tail end. I'm pretty sure GM never made that individual part of the drive shaft available. An alternative is to find a used drive shaft from a same year truck and model as yours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh geeeez... I really hope its what lutz says... There seems to be a plethora of them near the OH/MI line here so I'll just have to wait til Monday to see if they can do it.
Thanks for the responses everyone

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Toledo. I'm from closer to where you live tho... Don't hate me for it... but I'm from Lancaster lol

Reactions: lutzjk913
1 - 8 of 8 Posts