Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was driving my truck today and it started making a load noise, kind of like an exhaust manifold leak. Thought maybe the gasket went bad, no biggie right? Gave it a little gas and the truck just stopped running on the highway. It turns over but sounds funky, wont start though. No smoke, had good oil pressure, no coolant leak or coolant loss. I have a CP3, new injectors when the CP3 was installed, has a lift pump, and a kory tune. I was only on tune #2, never went higher than that because the truck would shudder like the trans was slipping. So the truck is at the dealer. I'm waiting for the call tomorrow to tell me the motor is shot. I just stuck $8k in it for the injection pump failure. I'm wondering if the trans took a dump??? Anyone have anything similar happen to them?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Doesn't sound like a transmission- sounds like fuel system problems. How long since the CP4 failed? Got to wonder if it was properly flushed..

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't sound like a transmission- sounds like fuel system problems. How long since the CP4 failed? Got to wonder if it was properly flushed..
when the CP4 failed I dropped the tank, flushed it, flushed all fuel lines and put new injectors and new CP3 pump. Every line was either flushed or replaced. I doubt it's a fuel issue, I'm waiting to hear from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
You said it was tuned, I’m sure you have an updated tune for your CP3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You said it was tuned, I’m sure you have an updated tune for your CP3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes its tuned for the CP3, truck has ran great until the last day or so.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well worst case scenario is the motor is shot. Shop is still looking at it but they said they will know more in a few hours.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
How long does it take to cut the oil filter open, or remove the FPR and look for debris?

Dealers milk it, every chance they get.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
well worst case scenario is the motor is shot. Shop is still looking at it but they said they will know more in a few hours.
did they tell you what failed? I had a guy tell someone i know there engine was shot, just needed a spark plug. If they cant give you a detailed reasoning for there conclusion id get a second opinion before dropping a new engine in it.

Reason i ask is "engines shot, well know more later" well either the engine is shot, and theres no reason to look further, or the engine is repairable and theres a reason to continue looking. If the diagnosis though is the motor is toast, why are they burning more of your money "looking into it"?

it sounds like either there not sure its actually shot, or there milking you. Either way, im skeptical of the current diagnosis.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm wondering if a valve failed, like an intake valve and that's why is sounded like a monster truck AKA exhaust leak. I talked to the service rep because I haven't heard anything all day so I called. He said they think its a bad piston. I'm wondering if a valve hung open and the piston hit it...I'll know more shortly... I'll keep you guys posted!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
service rep called from the dealer and he said they are still looking at it but they think #1 piston is shot. They want to dig into the motor, I said just do a compression test and let me know how that turns out. I'll probably be looking for a motor soon...

·
Registered
713 Posts
Any idea what would cause it? Who did your tunes?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
service rep called from the dealer and he said they are still looking at it but they think #1 piston is shot. They want to dig into the motor, I said just do a compression test and let me know how that turns out. I'll probably be looking for a motor soon...
when you have to tell the mechanic how to mechanic on your truck.... it might be time to go elsewhere.

lets see, how should we test for a broken piston..... see if it holds pressure, or spend 20 hours tearing the head off.....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
when you have to tell the mechanic how to mechanic on your truck.... it might be time to go elsewhere.

lets see, how should we test for a broken piston..... see if it holds pressure, or spend 20 hours tearing the head off.....
let me rephrase what the rep said, they are a good dealership and I have faith in them :) he said they need to do a compression test, then they can drop the oil pan to look into the motor. That will make it @$500 for the time they have in it diagnosing it. I said just do the compression test and let me know how that turns out. I said if the compression is bad, more than likely the motor is bad. He said yes, more than likely. I also asked about the valve covers, did they pull them yet. He said no, they will do that with the compression test. I said ok, let me know what going on after the compression test.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Read back through the pages.... there's quite a trail of broken parts leading back to PPEI
then why does everyone praise the Kory tunes? 'dunno;

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 76 Posts