Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im in the market of buying a duramax. Ive been reading up on them and it seems to be that there is not that big of a difference between the LLY and LBZ (and correct me if im wrong) other then the tuning being milder on the LLY. Would you guys object to broadening my duramax market to LLY's or should i stay away from them and just concentrate on the LBZ's. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks fellas

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
04.5-05 LLY's were identical. 06 LLY's were mechanically identical to the LBZ with the lly tuning. So, the 06 LLY's had a smaller charger, riveted head gaskets, different pistons, etc all the LBZ stuff.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
374 Posts
04.5-5 LLY's are good engines, but the LBZ is a much better power plant.

LBZ is better no questions asked

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Just look for pickups with the six speed transmission. If it has the six speed, it has the good LLY or LBZ.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the 04.5-05 LLY had a different charger, riveted head gaskets, & different pistons? Sorry im just trying to follow you...

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
So the 04.5-05 LLY had a different charger, riveted head gaskets, & different pistons? Sorry im just trying to follow you...
No, 04.5-05's had clamped gaskets, Mahle pistons & a larger charger. You want the ones with the 6 speed so you get the riveted gaskets to avoid head gasket problems.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Go LBZ or 06' "LLY" unless you can get a 04.5-05 LLY for a smoking deal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts