Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Thumping doors

4K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  394393 
#1 ·
Hello,

I brought my truck into the dealer for my doors making quite a racket when going over bumps. It sounds like fluttering and you can here the latch bouncing off the striker. It like they don't have the doors set tight enough to fully lock up. Anyone else have this issue in the new body style?

#4 ·
Are you sure it is the door or the Mirror? As a body fitter on the line here is a simple trick to see if it is the striker or not...open the suspect door... about4-5 inches... while keeping the outside handle pulled open(use your thumb on the solid part of handle to skin) slowly close the door. You will feel the weather seal first. Then if you feel a clunck. Its the striker.. striker only goes up and down.

#6 ·
Hey USmarine,

Thanks for the help. I tried this and only feel the weather stripping, maybe i need to push harder or does that mean set right? I am fairly certain it is the door, i have my arm on the door when it its happening and can feel the door moving in and out with the sound. Any angle of pictures that would help to determine?

#11 ·
Gaps look good. I would bet a toonie it's the mirrors...

Door drag ( door latch/striker not aligned) is pretty noticeable. I wear ear plugs and have some headphone playing music and you can hear it even with all the noise self inflicted and the plant noise.

I own a gmc as well. And i noticed the mirror noise when closing the doors.

#20 ·
I've brought my truck back to the dealer to deal with this issue further, they have said it is common on most trucks. They ended up pushing the striker Up high to try and tighten the door. This has messed the gap up completely on my truck. 1/8" down low 3/8"-1/2" up high. Looks like garbage. Noise has stopped but now i have a more consistent rattle and the door doesn't close properly some times.

I had to call gmc canada to get more involvement from them as the dealer said their hands were tied and could not go any further. That was friday last week, just waiting to hear back.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.