Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a metallic banging/thumping noise from the rear suspension. more so when towing. I have checked and the overload spring pads are in place, no loose u-bolts and the shocks are kyb and look fairly new(I bought the truck used). I tow an 8000lb 31' toy hauler off the bumper. any suggestions where I should start to look for the noise?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Look at your torsion bar cross member. They have a history of ripping apart from the frame.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thumpimg noise

Thanks for the tip, I did check the crossmember and it it ok. Friday night when I was "tinkering" with the truck, I noticed that both of the tail gate rubber stops were missing as well as the right striker pin was missing as well. A quick trip to the salvage yard Saturday am(12 mile round trip). After installing and adjusting the pin and stoppers, the thumping noise is gone. I also picked up a tailgate spoiler off of a damaged silverado gate. Installed that as well. I was pleasantly suprised to find the gatre was predrilled for the riv-nuts. easy update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
wow I had/have same problem clunk/thud from rear at stop the another when pulling out right side tailgat striker missing,and rubber bump stops missing but i removed tailgate then drove had same problem think it is diff or transfer case everything else checks out good

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing..:help It's about to drive me nuts!! I can't find it to save my life

1 - 7 of 7 Posts