Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Ticking noise

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  WVRigRat08 
#1 ·
I have an 01 duramax that I recently replaced headgaskets in. Shortly after the headgasket job a ticking noise appeared. I think it sounds like a lifter ticking. Possibly a lifter loosened up a little after it has been running. A friend of mine disagrees. He says it is injectors ticking because they are bad. I have no other symptoms. No smoke, no fuel in oil etc... The ticking is not able to be heard until the truck warms up some. When it warms up outside, I plan to open the valve covers and do a lifter adjustment again. What do you guys think?
Will it bother anything to continue to run it with a ticking lifter if this is the case?

#2 ·
My 01 ticks as well. There's a sticky around here about lb7 ticking. Try the search bar. I adjusted my valves when I did the injectors at 165k and it still ticks. It will get quieter with some oils but I like what I like so o well. Needless to say the ticking is no big deal.

#3 ·
It's a good possibility. It may be an exhaust leak though. Mine ticks pretty loud, I kinda rushed when I put my heads back on after the build but I did check the valve clearances 3 times so I'm guessing thats not it, but my boost gauge slightly flutters over 20 psi, so Im thinking exhaust leak. Do you have any gauges?

#5 ·
Check out the EDGE CTS. It will give you boost, pyro, trans temp, and tons of other useful info. Injector balance rates, desired and actual rail pressure etc.. the install is easy and the windshield suction mount is the best I've seen. Check one of the vendors out here for a price.

#6 ·
Doesnt the CTS read boost off the map? If so it will only read to 23 psi and not what what the turbo is actually puttin out. I have autometer phantom 2's in mine mounted on the pillar. I'm getting ready to order an oil temp gauge this week too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.