Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the window down the other day and heard a ticking/rattling sound coming from the front driverside near the wheel. Sounds almost like a ticking at speed or very slowly like a rubbing sound, mabey a break hanging up? Pulled over and checked and cant seem to find the culprit, any suggestions guys?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well i would guess either wheel bearing, or CV shafts i had a truck that clicked like that when the cv was out. just my thought! Hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
i would go with wheel bearing/ CV's

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll jack er up tonight and give the wheel a shake and see what I find. Any opinions on good wheel bearings to use as replacements?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Dont buy cheap bearing assembly's I get mine from napa have had as good luck with them as with GM

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You remember what kinda price you paid for them? Figured that may be it but wasn't sure may have to make a video of the noise, just a real soft kind of rubbing or grating noise. Prob 1-2 times per tire rotation going very slow, didn't know if mabey a rotor was
warped.

·
Registered
510 Posts
premium are 294$ each

Check and make sure its not a rock in the sheild that covers the rotor on the inside.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a start to me, suprised I heard it at all. My truck driving is like the 4 horseman have arrived and brought the end of days at WOT lol

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'd put money on it being a cv shaft not the wheel bearing...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Usually a cv will click when turning though. I think he was going straight, still a very good possibility though.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nah its only when turning left.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I'd put money on it being a cv shaft not the wheel bearing...
Im with you ^

My left cv went out and it sounded like a ratchet when turning right. In my experience the hubs on these trucks don't usually make noise other than a slight rubbing sound when they go out since they are sealed, they usually just loosen up.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
81 Posts
Couldn't possibly be a loose wheel center cap could it? I say always check the most simple things first. Mine loosen and make a little bit of racket sometimes.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well deffinately the front hub, jacked it up and had some nice play between 12 and 6 o clock. So need a new front hub assembly, and suggestions on best/cheapest place to buy??? I see Dmax stores Timken ones have lifetime warranty, any other ones out there offer the same?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have been looking around to and they seem to be the cheapest anywhere. I think I have the same job coming up too. DAMIT!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well deffinately the front hub, jacked it up and had some nice play between 12 and 6 o clock. So need a new front hub assembly, and suggestions on best/cheapest place to buy??? I see Dmax stores Timken ones have lifetime warranty, any other ones out there offer the same?
I know its a couple weeks old thread and wanted to see what your results were after replacing the hub.

I currently now having a squeking and rubbing noise only when I turn left or right at very slow speed (at idle or barely above idle). I was in 4x4 mode last week and was scouting around when hunting. Didn't have any problem until this week. I think it is the CV axles and wheel bearing hubs.

Either way I will be upgrading the front end steering and suspension after the holidays (hope she'll last that long).......HD Tie Rods, pitman and idler arm, Idler arm support bracket, cognito braces, shocks, wheel bearings, stainless steel brake lines, bushings. Going to make sure its done right....looking at a good $1400 to $1700 bill.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Replaced both wheel assemblies with timkin kits from dmax store. Best price anywhere and lifetime warranty. Driver side bearing was shot, figured is do em both and keep good one as a spare. No more sqeaky ass front end for this guy, had sleeves done while it was apart as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
wait if there is movement between 12 and 6 check your ball joints. I just picked up my rig and it had a nasty clunk. put it on a lift grabbed 12 and 6 and had 1" of plat in and out!!! upper ball joint was shot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts