Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got finished installing my Tie rod sleeves and I decided to post some pics and do a Write up.

First of course you will have to jack the vehicle up and pull the tires. Here is a pic of it before.

I pulled the tie rod nut off and tapped on the side of the rod support with a hammer until it was loose and then Tapped the top if the tie rod end. It fell right out.

Now you remove it where it attaches to the steering arm and measure the original distance over all

Now pull the tierod apart, by loosining the lock nut and then threading the old end off. I marked where the old nut set so I was pretty close to my original measurement. Now screw the new sleeve on to the rod as far as the old nut was on. Re-install the old Rod end. Measure and adjust til the measurement is the same as the begining.

Here is a pic of the two side by side the top is with the new sleeve installed.

Reinstall the tie rod( I used locktite) back to the steering rod and then to the wheel assembly.
Now you are all done, it should look like this when you are done.

When I measured the old rods I used a ruler with intervals of 56/th of an inch. It really helped when I had to reset them. I also put it on a flat surface to ensure the ruler and end of the rod were both securley on the surface. You can stand over it and eyeball but it is not as accurate. I also made sure to use the same spot for both measurements.
Take it out and drive it to ensure the rods are back where they were.
The sleeves are made by rough country and are steel and zinc plated

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I need to do this bad... Thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Thats a really good write up... should help some people out with this! if its your first time it can actually be pretty difficult.. when i did mine i had to buy the tie rod end seperator i just couldnt get them to come free from the knunckle! But the sleeves look great! :drink

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Wow we all have the same color trucks! lol

·
Premium Member
9,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and btw are those the rods I pm'ed you about the super good deal ones? cause they look good
Yep, they were pretty easy to install.I already went out and did about 5-4wd launches and OHHHHHH BOOOYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did not do an alignment because I made sure the rods were nearly exact before re-install. Hence the 1/56th increment ruler

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
I did not do an alignment because I made sure the rods were nearly exact before re-install. Hence the 1/56th increment ruler
gotcha i just though it was like one of those things you "had" to do...

my sloppy ass will prob never the measurements close enough though:eek:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
yes man thank u i just went to the strip and i wont run in 4wd because no sleeve and im going to wooster diesel to get them for 99 bucks if any vendors can beat that pleas pm me im po my truck will only run a 15.1 its so slo with efi live i think ppe was faster

·
Premium Member
9,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is a pretty simple install as long as you take your time to get it right.

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
yes man thank u i just went to the strip and i wont run in 4wd because no sleeve and im going to wooster diesel to get them for 99 bucks if any vendors can beat that pleas pm me im po my truck will only run a 15.1 its so slo with efi live i think ppe was faster
something has to be wrong there man..i was running 14.6 with just banks now im running 14.1 stacked...all this in 2wd i would consult your tuner

·
Needs more go fast
12,518 Posts
thanks for the write up.... i should be getting a set soon so i need this :drink

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Just looking at that sleeve, and it looks a bit shorter than PPE's. I think I would leave the lock nut on with the sleeve. Can you measure the distance between the boot and the end of the sleeve, and I'll compare them with mine?

·
Registered
84 Posts
my ppe tierod sleeves arent working at all i'm not sure what is wrong I went to do a 4wd launch and the thing just hoped and shaked everywere then knocked my passenger side tire just about sideways any suggestions on what might be wrong with it

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.