Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have personally discovered an extremeley disapointing feature in the enginering of the Chevy HD steering.

I have a friend who got his jeep stuck in a ditch and needed some help. Me, thinking I have a 2005 2500 HD Duramax I could help him out, right? So here I drive up to find out it will require some mild off road activity to get to the vehicle. No problem, right? I got the Chevy HD 2500 4X4. So I drop it into 4 wheel drive and proceed. I'm faced with a mild climb with some ruts. Nothing too extreme so I continue on. Next thing I know I'm not moving anymore. Hey!? Whats going on? We get out to find out the front wheels aren't spinning at all! Woah! Wait a minute. Whats all this grease all over the A arms and on the dirt. A CV joint has blown and there are pieces of what seem to be couplers or U joints on the ground. Wait, something else. The tie rod has completely broken in half! WTF?! Now I have a truck sitting in an area where no tow truck can really get to and I have a truck that is un-driveable.

Thanks Chevy for making a pile of S#@@ that I can only depend on to get groceries. I should gotten a honda accord. I wouldn't have fooled myself into thinking I actually had a "Heavy Duty Vehicle".

Hopefully nobody strips the truck by the time I can get back there to figure out how to get it home and get it driveable again.

Oh, by the way, I'm writing this at 2AM because this is what time I finally got home after figuring out what was wrong with the truck and failing to figuring how to potentially get my 35k truck home instead of letting it sit over night in an area where who knows what may happen to it. Awesome.

·
Irish man
320 Posts
you need to up grade the front end its a must sleeves and braces cheap fix.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sorry for your trouble. before I spend 35K on a truck I research the strengths and weaknesses of said truck. for 35K + $100.00 dollers you could have driven right to your frind in need. Welcome to the forum anyway. These trucks are not pieses of chit.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Too be blunt blame yourself for being so ignorant and not knowing more about your truck. Most people 99% who own diesels wrench on them theirselves and are informed of the weaknesses and Know what needs to be replaced! Lesson learned shoulda found us before you even purchaced a truck and you wouldnt be in the position your in.

/ cant stand people who just assume and then b!tch about it

off my soapbox

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
if you would like to continue talking shit about ur truck the f250 forum is that way ---->
and the dodge forum is this way <----- have a good day.

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
"I'm faced with a mild climb with some ruts. Nothing too extreme so I continue on."

Sounds a tad more harsh than you admit. I'm with the rest of the posts on this one.

Do you have a lifted truck?

·
Registered
984 Posts
I can understand being mad.........no problems there, but come on its just a known thing........What comes to mind when I hear that kind of stuff is "Gas N' go" person! Dont know anything else cept it goes when they put gas in it! To the OP I really am not bein a d!ck, but lets face the facts EPIC FAIL on informing yourself

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
:liar[1]: :fishin :horsepoo

I see him trollin', We hatin'

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
I'm not really sure how I feel about this thread...

Side A: It sux to have that happen to you and have to go through that, I'd be in a bad mood myself.

Side B: A 2500HD is NOT made to go offroad, mudding, etc.. for any reason... they come from the factory with highway tires... and are made to tow. Also...they make tie rod sleeves for $35.00.... chevys IFS is just common knowledge... which is why it's the #1 upgraded part on our trucks... Some of the other guys may of been kind of harsh on you, but in the same sense, you should really know your truck before you assume.. then things like this won't happen in the future.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think you probably already had a bad cv then when that went out broke a tie rod cuz i have done some wild stuff with mine and never had any problems with the front end.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
That is an awesome intro thread/first post.

·
Premium Member
3,432 Posts
Before I bought my truck, I lurked out on this forum and DP, as well as Ford and Dodge forums so I knew when I bought it, the very first item would be tie rods followed by an LBZ mouthpiece. Dodge, Ford and GM each have their weak points and strong points. I chose GM because it had the fewest major problems, at least according to the forums I watched. I do as much work on my truck as I am able-- tie rods, fuel filters, oil changes, gauge installs, MP mods, V2 diagnostics, etc so hopefully I don't get blindsided by issues caused by poor design. Searching on DF has saved me a lot of headaches! Try it........

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Lots of great guys here, and they love their trucks. They do beat on them, and break stuff,-- that comes under the heading-"Pay to Play".

They don't mean to be so harsh-- But when you come on here and bitch on your first post-- they get irritated.

Remember you have a truck that is 6 or 7 years old, and has lots miles on it-- parts do wear out and needs replaced.

Yes, the GM trucks do have weak tie rods, and a support sleeve will help that problem. If the truck is "Lifted", that contributes to the problem.

Hope you stick around-- you will always be welcome.

·
Registered
189 Posts
100$ fix , get over it
Well... it WOULD have been a $100 fix. Might be a little expensive now

to the original poster. go ahead and buy heavy duty tie rods and do both sides when you replace them. welcome to the forum

·
Registered
533 Posts
Uphill with ruts, rapid loss of traction and you're wondering why something broke? I've wheeled the piss out of both my '03 2500 HD and my '00 Half-ton and never had any problems... but I also have a brain in my head and knew my vehicles' strengths and weaknesses.

4x4 and smashing the gas pedal mostly ALWAYS results in broken things. Sorry, but you done goofed.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
:welcome to the forum bud. I halfta agree w/you on the tie rods, what a chicken shit design by GM. But look at the bright side, they're not hard to replace, even on the trail, and for under $100 you can get a set of sleeves and not halfta worry bout this again. The axle can be got at just about any parts house for round $100 and it's really not hard to change. Live and learn :drink

1 - 20 of 49 Posts