Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:boobooThis weekend I went out off-roading at Anza Borrego. I was trying to keep up with my buddy with a old school ford bronco. When we got to the tuff parts I decided to park my truck and ride with him so i would not break the daily driver. After we came back my buddy talked me in to trying the hill. I made it down fine and when I came back up the other way my tires turned pointing at each other. A little pissed off I took a look at what I had done and the ball joint broke off the outer tire rod end. After leaving my truck in the middle of the desert all night we drove to the part store in El Centro about two hours from where my truck was stuck. I went ahead and bought both tie rod ends they had in case the other gave out. We got back and installed it and made it up the hill. When it got to the top I decided to take a look at the tie rod to see how it looked and now the inner tie rod end was bent. Even more angry I tried to make it as far as possible back to the highway. Bent it lasted about 150 yards at idle over the rocks. Now i was screwed. then we did this

It is a couple of wrenches some hose clamps, tire wire and a rachet strap. I worked to get us up the second hill and a couple more miles of desert. Then we had to have some one pick up the new parts and meet us at the highway. It was my fault I should have not even tired the whole adventure but you live and learn i guess. I wanted everyone to see what craftsman did for me and get a laugh at the same time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone neds to read and upgrade their front suspension components before they offroad ;)
To this day I have never broken/bent a tierod. Think smarter, not harder ;)
What kind of suspension upgrade do you reccomend?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where can i get some tie rod sleeves?

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Get some GOOD tie rods, Alligator has about the best deal I've found on Cognitos, don't waste your time with sleeves. I don't have a lift or anything but I won't tow anything without a good set of tie rods, never know when you'll need 4 wheel drive to pull out of a rough spot.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Go ahead and do the whole HD tie rods....maybe not needed, but when you see how beefy they are next to stockers, you just cant even feel bad about it!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am not sure if they make sleeves for the brand that i bought i might have to buy all new ones.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Whats a ballpark price for having these installed? My steering has gotten pretty loose and I am guessing the stock tierods and pitman are time to replace.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
I am looking at picking this up.
Cognito Pitman and Idler arm Support Kit for 01-09 GM 2500HD/3500/Hummer H2
I was wondering how do you tell if your pitman and Idler arms are already worn out.
Makes it easier to see if you got the front tirs off, but you can do this if they're on if you know what to look for. Grab the sides of the hub/tire (3 and 6 o'clock position). push the tire/hub back and forth like you would if you were turning the steering wheel. Watch the centerlink as you do this. If you see it rotate up or down BEFORE the opposite tire or hub moves, then the bushing in the pitman/idler are shot.

Same issue I have now. Time to replace. Cognito braces will help keep that fom happening.

i am not sure if they make sleeves for the brand that i bought i might have to buy all new ones.
If you bought HD rods of any sort, you wont need sleeves. They will already be bigger than any stock tie rods. Sleeves are for guys that wanna use the stockers but make them stronger.

Seeing as how you already busted one, I'd just spen the money on an HD set versus buying new stock tie rods AND sleeves. Price wont be that much different in either case.

Whats a ballpark price for having these installed? My steering has gotten pretty loose and I am guessing the stock tierods and pitman are time to replace.
Replacing them is easy enough if you have the tools. I'd recomend doing them yourself if you have the know how.

See above for finding out about worn pitman/idlers. Worn tierods will have a lot of slop in the bushing's, easy enough to see by pulling the end of the tie rod out of the spindle and checking for play.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Having what installed? The Sleeves?
Tierods and pitman arm. Still new to this so maybe I am wording it wrong.
Makes it easier to see if you got the front tirs off, but you can do this if they're on if you know what to look for. Grab the sides of the hub/tire (3 and 6 o'clock position). push the tire/hub back and forth like you would if you were turning the steering wheel. Watch the centerlink as you do this. If you see it rotate up or down BEFORE the opposite tire or hub moves, then the bushing in the pitman/idler are shot.

Same issue I have now. Time to replace. Cognito braces will help keep that fom happening.

If you bought HD rods of any
sort, you wont need sleeves. They will already be bigger than any stock tie rods. Sleeves are for guys that wanna use the stockers but make them stronger.

Seeing as how you already busted one, I'd just spen the money on an HD set versus buying new stock tie rods AND sleeves. Price wont be that much different in either case.

Replacing them is easy enough if you have the tools. I'd recomend doing them yourself if you have the know how.

See above for finding out about worn pitman/idlers. Worn tierods will have a lot of slop in the bushing's, easy enough to see by pulling the end of the tie rod out of the spindle and checking for play.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I will check that out, thanks for the headsup Whitetrash.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts