Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Ya'll! Hope everybody had a good easter. Anyway, time for some regular maintenance! Got a question about coolants. So I work for Dodge and have access to mopars 5yr coolant the red stuff for pretty much nothing. So the question, and its probably a dumb question but do I have to use the dexo stuff? I figured as long as I get every thing out of the block, radiator, and heater core. That switching to there 5 year wouldn't be a problem? I figure as long as there is no contamination between coolants I would be fine. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Dexcool is 5 year/100K coolant. Stick with Dexcool.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Totally switching from Dexcool. High PH level. I'm at 50k and I'm flushing and switching.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

what was your PH, and how was it determined? was it filled with distilled water or tap water full of ions, minerals and chlorine? dexcool is great coolant, and the risks associated with not getting every last drop out before you switch to the green crap is just not worth it, but to each there own. by the way, to get all the dex out you will end up pulling plugs on the block itself because it sits below the radiator. i dont envy the task ahead of you.

also, 50K is not a short life for a fluid, dexcool is advertised to up to 100K miles, but that is not a guarantee, and your engine, foot, and technique in replacing it (as well as the condition of your head gaskets) can greatly reduce that lifespan. i change mine ever 30-50K just as insurance, how many miles do you think you will get out of the green stuff thats supposed to be dumped every 30k?

·
Premium Member
8,221 Posts
what was your PH, and how was it determined? was it filled with distilled water or tap water full of ions, minerals and chlorine? dexcool is great coolant, and the risks associated with not getting every last drop out before you switch to the green crap is just not worth it, but to each there own. by the way, to get all the dex out you will end up pulling plugs on the block itself because it sits below the radiator. i dont envy the task ahead of you.

also, 50K is not a short life for a fluid, dexcool is advertised to up to 100K miles, but that is not a guarantee, and your engine, foot, and technique in replacing it (as well as the condition of your head gaskets) can greatly reduce that lifespan. i change mine ever 30-50K just as insurance, how many miles do you think you will get out of the green stuff thats supposed to be dumped every 30k?
PH was almost at a 3, PH test strips.
Im ok with a little higher change rate. I replace my fluids early anyway. Yes there is a process for getting the dexcool out. My mechanic is proficient with this. With the exception of this forum most seem to switch out. I will run a new coolant and see how i like it.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
PH was almost at a 3, PH test strips.
Im ok with a little higher change rate. I replace my fluids early anyway. Yes there is a process for getting the dexcool out. My mechanic is proficient with this. With the exception of this forum most seem to switch out. I will run a new coolant and see how i like it.

oh, i thought you mean high as in like closer to 14, a pH of 3 is not very strong at all, its weaker then vinegar (you can actually leave a penny in vinegar and it will just clean the surface a little bit, no actual damage). the pH scale is exponential in either direction with 7 being neutral, 2-12 are not very strong, and get exponentially weaker closer to 7, 1-2 and 12-14 are very strong acids and bases a pH of 3 would really not concern me all that much, though i would change the fluid for sure. tap water is also somewhat acidic so if it was not filled with distilled this could have pushed it even further to the pH you got.

·
Premium Member
8,221 Posts
oh, i thought you mean high as in like closer to 14, a pH of 3 is not very strong at all, its weaker then vinegar (you can actually leave a penny in vinegar and it will just clean the surface a little bit, no actual damage). the pH scale is exponential in either direction with 7 being neutral, 2-12 are not very strong, and get exponentially weaker closer to 7, 1-2 and 12-14 are very strong acids and bases a pH of 3 would really not concern me all that much, though i would change the fluid for sure. tap water is also somewhat acidic so if it was not filled with distilled this could have pushed it even further to the pH you got.

Good info thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
11,314 Posts
Most tap water is not acidic, most keep it at around 7.0 or above.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
X2 and tap water is fine for mixing with coolant.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Some is and some isn't. When I have my RV down in southern Cali or Ariz for a couple months the hot water tank builds up a thick sludge of crystallized minerals and the toilet gets brown streaks (no, not that kind). I don't want any chance of that in my cooling system.

BTW soaking with white vinegar cleans those things up.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts

the pH probe in my chemistry lab would disagree with you, dissolved carbon dioxide gas turns water acidic, most water has a more acidic pH then basic, im not saying your pouring battery acid from your tap, but your not pouring 7.000 either. my lab grade pH probe reports a PH of about 5.265 (+- .05 depending on the day and the contamination of the pH solution used for calibration) for tap water.

even distilled water is rarely if ever 7.000, theres going to be SOME contamination from the air during processing and from the plastic container.

i didnt say you COULDENT use tap water with dexcool, i just said that it would alter the ph from what it would be with distilled water. i have been known in a pinch to use the garden hose method of topping off the water level.

to be clear, im not trying to start the tap water vs distilled water debate, i really dont care what you put in your engine (that includes the green koolaid if thats your thing, more power to you, i respectfully disagree with your decision though). im just trying to keep shops from shoving a strip of paper in your coolant and telling you your engines gonna melt if you dont pay them to change it yesterday.

·
Premium Member
8,221 Posts
So I think I will drain and replace with dexcool and continue to do it every 50k. Not finding anything that is any better or worse really so I mine as well stick with what came from the factory...about the only thing I am staying with thats OEM fluid lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.