Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have an 06 regular cab LLY the truck is in good shape has never had a tuner has the stock exhaust everything is stocked besides the cold air intake. It was well taken care of and maintained.

I was looking into getting a tuner as I know this truck is down about 60 horsepower from the factory I was interested in the edge CTS 3 tuner and monitor although I cannot find any YouTube videos or reviews on them just the monitor. I was figuring that way I could get all the gauges and the tunes it was about 600 bucks. I don't think I would need to really shift on the fly that quick with a knob.

What's the advantages of having a knob dspa 5 switch and the separate monitor? Is it that the tunes on the insight suck?

I don't plan on taking the exhaust off or anything I don't plan on racing anyone either if I can get some better mpgs and suck my dog back into the seat that's what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will give them a call and see what they have maybe they have a good tune for a completely stock truck something that's not going to blow up but give me a little bit more punch

·
Registered
762 Posts
Canned tunes are not the best. John Kennedy has some very refined tuning that is safe and will give you more benefits than those basic plug-in tuners. I also highly recommend one of Kennedy lift pump.
Kennedy Diesel

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did an EFI Live tow tune due to some minor mods. Just to resolve some minor issues, as I don't....gave me 50 extra and improved milage slightly.......IMHO no need to get cute and create other problems with the extras some like to do.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Duramaxtuner is very good if you want emission compliant tunes. Perked up my LBZ nicely.
Duramaxtuner is very good if you want emission compliant tunes. Perked up my LBZ nicely.
I have read that the allison doesn't like to hold much more power than stock. This might not be as true with the 6 speeds but it seems I have read that even a transmission safe tune would cause a failure after some time. So I don't know how comfortable I would be. But it does make me feel better knowing your driving around with a tuner on.

That was what I was going to go with for a tuner. Did you see any mpg increases around town? I feel like my truck being an 06 lly it really is nowhere near what it should be for power

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,995 Posts
Even stock tuning can fry an Allison with a bonehead operating the skinny pedal.

Have you gone through all the other checks already? You mentioned the truck feels like it should have more power. Have you checked all the usual suspects like the air filter and fuel filter? What about MAF/MAP? Are there any boost leaks? (look for oil around the charge tube boots). Are you running bigger tires?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually I take that back it has plenty of power, I don't ever get on it unless I'm getting on the highway and I let her rip. She runs like a raped date. I actually drive it like an old man. I stopped doing bad things to my vehicles years ago so I don't know why I said that.

As far as a boost leak I forgot all about one that might be near the front of the truck drivers side front wheel well. Thanks for mentioning that, it's been a long winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts