Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got some funding put together to make some upgrades. :neener I am in the military and on a tight budget(as are most people) so I have a few questions for you guys before I pull the trigger.

1) Autocal or V2? If I get the Autocal, it frees up money for other items which are further down on the list. I can always pick up a V2 later when I have picked up more parts to put on at 1 time. It could be at least a year or so before I would be ready for more tunes.

2) Fass or Airdog? Is there a large enough difference between the 2 to really matter?

3) Also, if I get just the tune package for EFI, does anyone know any guys in Springfield, Mo that are good to go that could load them for me? That would save even more money to go towards other necessities.

Im stationed at Fort Lostinthewoods for just a little bit longer before I head back to Cali and Springfield is the closest area to me.

My plan is as of right now, EFI, lift pump, CTS for gauges and depending on price AFE CAI. That should keep me happy for at least a month or so.:D

Thanks in advance for the help guys! :drink

·
Registered
13,927 Posts
1. The Autocal is the most popular choice because of the price. But you will be locked to one tuner and won't have the ability to make your own tunes should you wish. So if you think you will be happy with using only one tuner(most are) then I would go with the Autocal.

2. It's a toss up on quality, but I prefer the install of the Airdog and also the ADII 165 has a adjustable psi regulator.

If you are planning a intake I would consider checking out the S&B over the AFE. They are priced better and I prefer them over the AFE.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. For now, one tuner would be fine, but I know down the road I will want to mess around and learn more.

So, on that list, is there anything that I am missing that I should be looking at? I was figuring that that would be enough until I got the transmission built.

Also, when I get the lift pump, I can get rid of the OEM fuel filter right and plumb it straight in?

Thanks again

·
Registered
13,927 Posts
If you go with a lift pump you can remove the factory fuel filter. You just remove the housing and run a fuel line. You still dont have to run the Airdog line all the way to the engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet. Thanks man.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Pump rub kit

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Finally got some funding put together to make some upgrades. :neener I am in the military and on a tight budget(as are most people) so I have a few questions for you guys before I pull the trigger.

1) Autocal or V2? If I get the Autocal, it frees up money for other items which are further down on the list. I can always pick up a V2 later when I have picked up more parts to put on at 1 time. It could be at least a year or so before I would be ready for more tunes.
If you are on a budget I'd highly recomend an autocal from a good tuner a v2 and you tweeking without knowing might cause destruction!
2) Fass or Airdog? Is there a large enough difference between the 2 to really matter?
both are great company's with pretty much the same product Father/Son!
3) Also, if I get just the tune package for EFI, does anyone know any guys in Springfield, Mo that are good to go that could load them for me? That would save even more money to go towards other necessities.
Your autocal will allow you to flash your tunes into your ECM so you won't need anyone to help especially with the DIY vids on youtube etc.......
Im stationed at Fort Lostinthewoods for just a little bit longer before I head back to Cali and Springfield is the closest area to me.

My plan is as of right now, EFI, lift pump, CTS for gauges and depending on price AFE CAI. That should keep me happy for at least a month or so.:D

Thanks in advance for the help guys! :drink
last but not least thank you for your service! :neener

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pump rub kit
What is the "pump rub kit"? Tried to find some info on it but no luck so far.

On another note, where in Missouri are you from?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Efi live and air dog II 165

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Transfer case pump rub kit... 2 hours from you in Auxvasse MO I am in Rolla once a month or so.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's cool. I was just up that way a few weeks ago picking up some alfalfa for the wife's horse. We have been looking at Fulton and surrounding area for possibly retiring to once I'm done with the military. Nice area up there.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Next time you are up this way let me know. Grow up in this area I could help you with install LLY can be a pain to flash.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks man. I just might have to take you up on it. I'm just waiting on my taxes to get in and then figure out who I'm going to get everything through and order it. I'm chomping at the bit. There aren't a whole lot of Dmax guys down here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts