Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a can of VHT Night-Shades and was wanting to do my Taillights, Third Brake Light, and front Marker lights. Now my questions are:
- How will it turn out? I searched on here and have read if you dont clear coat it that it will turn out dull and hazy, is this true? Will a clear coat in a spray can work? Whats a good clear coat in a can? What kind of prep work do i need to do for the VHT to stick well and not crack or peal? Would scuffing up the lights with 1000 grit sand paper work well enough? How dark can i actually go before the light wont shine through anymore? Anything else i need to know about this stuff?

- The VHT lights will only be temperary untill i buy Smoked tails, third brake lights, and markers/headlights. I dont wanna spray my headlights with VHT as i dont want to loose light output.

- Pic's of a GMC with VHT'd tails/third brake light/front markers would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
if your scred about the clear do the nightshades your self and take them to a body shop and have them clear it for you.. other than that clear in a can works great. IMO the nightshades looks better than any tail light you can buy but thats just me.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i didnt clear coat mine and they came out good

·
Registered
589 Posts
Tony do you have any pics of your truck it looks good man
his pics are under the thread "tinted headlights" i just did the same thing to mine. look under "NEW PICS!!" it only shows the 3rd brake light but you get the jist of it. i also didnt clear coat just did 2 light coats so it wouldnt run and they came out sweet

·
Registered
589 Posts
I meant of the truck lol I have everything on my truck tinted already, but thanks..oh without clear nvm hold on
ya that thread has pics of his truck haha if thats what ya mean

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
i just bought some covers for the front light and the rear..so if you get pulled over you can just pop them off

·
Registered
885 Posts
Automotive exterior Automotive tire Grille Tire Bumper
heres parkin lights 3 coats no clear 1 coat of wax

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Those all look really good. I picked up a can of Duplicolor Crystal Clear Enamel Paint. It comes out clear and shiny. This is what the guy at the auto parts store recommended. Will this work as a good enough clear coat? I have never spray tinted anything before and will try it on an old headlight or something first. If it doesnt turn out good enough on my tails, is it possible to strip this VHT Night-Shades off with paint thinner or something and have my tails back to normal?

Also, what is a good way to prep the lights before being sprayed? I have alot of body work supplies laying around. I was thinking either an engine de-greaser, or i have a metal acid stripper that works to take surface rust off of bare metal, will either of these work?

·
Registered
622 Posts
where did you get the covers from

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well i got my Taillights and Third Brake Light done today, Did three coats on each and a coat of Duplicolor Crystal Clear Enamal paint overtop for a protectant. After everything was done i gave the lights a quick wax for a little extra protection. And they did turn out decent enough for me (Temperary lights untill i buy Recon LED's). I will get pictures up tomorrow in the day time.

Has anyone used VHT Night-Shades on their front marker lights? I was thinking of doing two or three coats per marker light. Post a pic if you have done this on a GMC.

At night the light shines through just fine (Brakes/Reverse/Signal) But the cargo light is pretty much useless now (Gives off a faint glow). Has anyone put LED's in there cargo lights to be brighter?
I have a buddy with a F-150 and he has blue cargo light bulbs and it looks really good. Was wondering if its possible on the Chevy's? His cargo light also comes on when you open the door or unlock the truck (I know GM's dont do this) so his looks better for that reason. Is it possible to make a GM do this?

Also, Sparepartsracing, How does your tool box work with the stack through it? Looks really good though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts