Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of an effect does a tip have on the sound of a straight pipe exhaust?

·
Registered
742 Posts
its a 12" piece of pipe added to the end of a 15 foot length of pipe. It aint gonna change the sound much, if at all.

·
Word Up
3,517 Posts
One time I had a build up of mud on my tip and a bit covered the opening and the sound was wicked when The exhaust "wind" passed through on the throttle i thought about welding a fin inside the end of the tip to duplicate that sound... I have a 5" straight pipe
and it sounds like a jet normally but wow what a difference!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
bubb rubb is an idiot, could have killed someone driving on the wrong side of the road or running a stop sign of a speed obviously faster than the speed limit.

·
Registered
622 Posts
the tip makes a big difference actually. from a 5x12 to a 6x18 is noticeable at all rpm ranges and inside and outside the cab.

·
Registered
742 Posts
the tip makes a big difference actually. from a 5x12 to a 6x18 is noticeable at all rpm ranges and inside and outside the cab.
I dont notice a damn thing. I've run 4" with and without tip, muffler, 5" without a tip and also a 4" front pipe by itself. Tip hasn't made a bit of difference for me.

·
Registered
585 Posts
A buddy of mine has a 4.8 gasser and he claims the sound changed quite a bit by switching out tips on his. He's running a race muffler (so basically NO muffler :D), and still has the cat on. Personally I haven't had an experience with the tip changing the sound, but it makes sense. If the inside of the tip is larger than the piping on the exhaust, its going to resonate differently.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I dont notice a damn thing. I've run 4" with and without tip, muffler, 5" without a tip and also a 4" front pipe by itself. Tip hasn't made a bit of difference for me.
dirtymaxx03 switched his tip and didnt tell me and came over to my house, once again without telling me lol, and i heard the difference of noise from the inside of the house. i liked how his sounded so much more than mine that i ordered one for myself and i can hear tons of difference. its a deeper sound.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I am pretty sure a tip makes a difference in sound. I ran my exhaust for about a year or so with out a tip then finally I broke down and bought a tip. It sounded quite a bit different.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I dont think it would make a difference at all. Wouldnt make sense if it did IMO :rolleyes:
Well if you have always had a tip then you wouldnt know. For the guy that has the new tip before you weld it on go and stick the tip over the exhaust while running then take it off I did this a couple times before I went and got it welded on.

·
Registered
880 Posts
i noticed a deeper tone when i went from a six to a seven tip

1 - 20 of 26 Posts